World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Quick question...after casting out and waiting for the lead to sink...how much tension should you have after reeling the excess line in? Latey i've been getting the line so tight it's like a guitar string after seeing fellow anglers with their rod tips virtually bending over while left in their tripods. I've had no luck with this technique at all!

Is this right or should it have some slack for when the fish bites?

Thanks in advance

Steve.

·
13,170 Posts
It depends.......(like most things in fishing). If you were casting close in (particularly from high up) you might want to leave a "bow" in your line if you wanted to ensure your bait was hard on the bottom).

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Fishing from the kent beaches and casting more than 50 yards wind it in tight enough to get a slight bend in the rod tip, slacken off your drag untill you can pull a few inches of line from the spool and still leave a bend. Drag wants to be tight enough so that tide doesn't continually inch line off.

Guitar string is probably overdoing it.

Slack for the bite should be on the snood length/rig type. You can also point the rods the direction the tide is going so you create an angle for the rod tip to bend towards the line assuming you cast uptide. Pointing rod tips downwind also helps bite detection in a strong wind.

Like Gulp says, depends what rigs and venues your fishing though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i had some issues with slack lines before, can be strong tide or the type of weight your using, rule of thumb after cast out let the line sink and wind in and you will feel the line be tight when the weight has bedded in, as other guys say you want it tight enough to have a little bend in the tip of the rod so you can detect a bite with ease. if you cant get that bend and keeps going slack try changing weight type/weight.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hi,

Quick question...after casting out and waiting for the lead to sink...how much tension should you have after reeling the excess line in? Latey i've been getting the line so tight it's like a guitar string after seeing fellow anglers with their rod tips virtually bending over while left in their tripods. I've had no luck with this technique at all!

Is this right or should it have some slack for when the fish bites?

Thanks in advance

Steve.
Cast out and let the grip lead sink and anchor itself . You can wind a little in but not too much . Its far better to leave a bow in your line or curve from rod tip to lead . It is just as sensitive with a bow in it and also ensures your lead doesn't get pulled out unless a fish bites . Its the current that forms the bow or curve in the line . Just settle your mind by thinking that a 6 inch tug at the lead end will register around the curve . Although in reality there is so much stretch in mono line that if you tugged a yard of line on 150 yards it would go unoticed from the rod end . This is the reason why so many match fisherman bring their line in every 15 minutes whether they have a bite or not .

:secret::fish::fishing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts