World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
hi mate my zippy was tight as hell for years, many a time i drove home with it hanging out the window ! anyway from research carbon takes in water , so i put wd40 grafite spray [£4 quid ] on the spigot and sprayed it in the other rod section , every 3-4 days for about 4 weeks and got some grip tape off ebay for rods as i recall , put that on the 2 sections and never had a problem since [about 2 years ago ] . and i still store it in the same place as before , but others say store the rod indoors so no damp gets to it good luck

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
hi mate my zippy was tight as hell for years, many a time i drove home with it hanging out the window ! anyway from research carbon takes in water , so i put wd40 grafite spray [£4 quid ] on the spigot and sprayed it in the other rod section , every 3-4 days for about 4 weeks and got some grip tape off ebay for rods as i recall , put that on the 2 sections and never had a problem since [about 2 years ago ] . and i still store it in the same place as before , but others say store the rod indoors so no damp gets to it good luck
ps i agree last resort is very fine wet and dry but remember once its off there aint no going back

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one . Cheers for the replys

The problem I have is the top section isn't going down far enough for my liking

Will have a go tonight loosening it before I take it on the rocks . Would be a nightmare trying to climb with it together ha

Cheers

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Rub a pencil over the spigot and twist it in and out......works well, don't sand it down or you'll be posting on here how to build a spigot up next week lol!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Forget sanding it, they come out of the factory checked, highly unlikely there's anything 'wrong' with it, it's tight, it's new, that's how it's meant to be. The advice on the link above is spot on from the manufacturer. Keep it clean and keep it dry, if you have any rubber sheet/pond liner, silicon rubber sheet/big rubber bands, put some in your bag/rucksack, and if it's a struggle getting sections apart, used the extra grip the rubber/silicon provides to help part the sections. There should be a 'gap' on all joints for wear and tear, be especially careful in the rain, wet joints are easily pushed in too far causing capillary attraction. Even if they do get stuck, I haven't seen 2 sections that can't be parted with the right technique and patience, and I've seen a lot . . . . . ;)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Pencil trick did the job

Still could do with going down a little bit but I will keep at it

Cheers for the advice
Dont sand it down mate I guarantee you will regret it ---Everytime you put your rod together and take it apart it wears down a little, by leaving a gap manufacturers make sure your rod will fit together for years ---If you rub it down you have taken away years of life off the rod. I always put a tiny rub of candlewax on a new rod it seals it and stops it sicking and I have got zzippys that are more than 10 years old that still fit together as nicely as some of my new ones .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dont sand it down mate I guarantee you will regret it ---Everytime you put your rod together and take it apart it wears down a little, by leaving a gap manufacturers make sure your rod will fit together for years ---If you rub it down you have taken away years of life off the rod. I always put a tiny rub of candlewax on a new rod it seals it and stops it sicking and I have got zzippys that are more than 10 years old that still fit together as nicely as some of my new ones .
All sorted now buddy

Cheers for the advice

Tried gorbys method with the pencil and it worked a treat

Fits together like it should now . Will try a bit wax too

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you have any left? :D rub the male part of the spigot in your hair before you put it together, the natural oils in your hair are sufficient to lubricate the joint ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.