World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished just downstream of the fort this morning with basshunter007 and his mate Barry. Started off ok with sizeable whiting from the off but the suspended weed was horrendous in the strong flow. As the flow eased towards ht which is normally dinner gong time down there the crabs started and all 3 hooks were being stripped in a few minutes.........Ho hum, need a frost or two to sort it out.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Fished just downstream of the fort this morning with basshunter007 and his mate Barry. Started off ok with sizeable whiting from the off but the suspended weed was horrendous in the strong flow. As the flow eased towards ht which is normally dinner gong time down there the crabs started and all 3 hooks were being stripped in a few minutes.........Ho hum, need a frost or two to sort it out.

Same problem on our side (greenhithe) there must of been about 30 crabs on my whole squid ! The rod was bending over like a good fish , umtil u reeled it in with 6 of them hangin on likeits there last meal:-/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mmm...was thinking of fishing gravesend tomorrow or Chatham command house what would you recommend looks a bit too choppy on south coast judging by forecast was going to fish Brighton marina but knowing my luck them will close the pier as I arrive down there

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mmm...was thinking of fishing gravesend tomorrow or Chatham command house what would you recommend looks a bit too choppy on south coast judging by forecast was going to fish Brighton marina but knowing my luck them will close the pier as I arrive down there

Ur prob be better of in medway its quite sheltted and good chance of a few whittin and maybe codling

·
Registered
585 Posts
Unlucky Jon, got to the wharfe just after high and had whiting on makki nothing on the whole squid also tried sand eel but nothing touched it. Few crabs about but not to much to bother me, weed was fairly bad though

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lol, but I tend to do all my fishing from the piers as am hardly a pro, had around 10species that day and it was my bday had friends with me who had never done sea fishing before:))

·
Registered
808 Posts
fished low up at the ship and lobster yesterday nothing untill 2hrs before high a decent size whiting saved a blank crabs proved to be a problem had to change baits every 10 mins i agree with miz we need a few frosty nights

·
Registered
21,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By all means make the base of your bait worm, and I was using some Ian's lug that I had salted down a few weeks ago to a constituency of leather. Tip it with bits of squid head rather than mackie....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
fished low up at the ship and lobster yesterday nothing untill 2hrs before high a decent size whiting saved a blank crabs proved to be a problem had to change baits every 10 mins i agree with miz we need a few frosty nights
Hows things bruv it should nt be long until we start catchin a dozen of whittin and 1 or two cod couple of the fellows r havin a few out at dartford on the big tides and early hours of the mornin so fingers crossed the weed dies down and the crabs go in hidin !

·
Registered
21,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hows things bruv it should nt be long until we start catchin a dozen of whittin and 1 or two cod couple of the fellows r havin a few out at dartford on the big tides and early hours of the mornin so fingers crossed the weed dies down and the crabs go in hidin !
The last 2 years you could catch a hundred whiting and still not see a cod...if this winter is just as bad then the best bet is to fish the boat channel at low tide where the deep water is accessible. A small bait at long range is better than a massive bait which cannot be cast far enough....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Very true mate , gonna go out on me and cafc lees boat next sunday around the greenhithe to tilbury area in deeper water ie ( boat channel ) r do a report and c whays out there !

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a few last year along the black post stretch at gravesend bang on low water mostly on squid or tiger prawn worm baits seemed to pick up whiting the whiting I had yesterday wasn't short of a pound and a half great I thought I kept it hoping for a couple more of the same size the kids love them I must admit I don't mind them myself but hey ho sod all else for me but crabs let us know ravet when your out next I might come along and have a go too

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It will be first time out in thames so really too me a learning curve got to get to know the water before any lumps come my way! Tryin to get a bit of advice on where to fish , but that will come with time

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've heard stories of decent cod caught just off of the sea school gravesend by boat anglers although it was about 8 years ago a reliable source told me a few stories of cod being caught just off there 17 lb was his biggest he worked on the river on the barges used to take the boat out of the canal the furthest he went WAs up to the sea school

1 - 20 of 23 Posts