World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fed up with the cheap & nasty ebay special which I bought 18months ago. I also notice that over the last couple of years there has been a huge leap in the high brightness LED performance, so now I've decided to buy a better quality headlamp.

After some deliberation:headhurt:, I've narrowed it down to 3 headlamp options within my budget range.

LED Lenser H7 (170 lumens).
LED Lenser H14 (210 lumens)
Petzl Myo XP (150 lumens)

Would appreciate hearing the experiences you have out there with any of these lamps, to help with the decision!

ps: It will defo be one of these lamps that I choose, so please don't confuse me by advising to buy something else

1,021 Posts
The H14 is light and excptional in its build quality. With the option of battery pack to rear of head band or add the extension lead for putting it in your pocket it makes it almost un-noticable to wear. The 210 lumens is more than enough for general fishing and you'll find the lower setting is enough for all but perhapse guiding to and from your chosen mark. The spread is surprisingly broad and the option to zoom/focus to spot can give you visual light 2-3 pegs down the beach with ease. Having owned tiga's, petzl duo and several 300 lumen cheap cree lights i can honestly say the H14 is a cut above them all.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Led Lensor H7r, as you can use normal AAA batteries as well as the rechargables. The power control and focus are manual not electronically programmed so its less to go wrong. Fits under a floaty jacket hood great. A lot lighter than the H14 if you wear the battery pack on the headband as the belt style is a good idea but flawed as I kept pulling the cable loose when casting.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Out of those three I would say the H14, purely as it is using the newest led technology out of the three you have listed.

The H7 I used to have (130 lumens) used to eat batteries.

Te myo xp I used to have was only about 80 lumens or there a bouts so no real comparison but on the one I had the diffuser thing was useless.

Whatever you buy I would say the best feature would be to get one that is regulated as it will have a more stable output.

All of the above considered I still bought a different light but as you don't want any other options I won't mention it :doh:

G

·
i have both the h7 and the petzl myo xp,the batteries last ages on the myo but obviously its not as bright as the h7.
like a tit i bought the h7 non rechargable so if your like me and like to have it burning on full power it eats the batteries.so i would go for the h7 or the h14,been thinking about getting one meself as it happens.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
im getting the new fenix hp11, from moonfleet next week (payday)

·
Registered
290 Posts
i have the h7r, its nothing spectacular but it does the job. plenty of light from it but it does eat the batteries if you have it on full. half setting is more than enough for general use and full for walking back to the car and baiting up. if used like that i used to get a 4/5 hour session in without needing to change the batteries but always carry a spare pack with me just in case. the batteries that came with it are showing signs of tiredness so will need to change them soon.

if i was to loose it id have no problems buying the same lamp again.

just a quick note on the returns policy, mine broke a while back after just under 2 years use, sent it back and got it fixed and returned after a few days. the whole thing looked like it was replaces except the headband and battery cover so thumbs up for that, nice to have peace of mind if it does fail. warranty is for "life" and by life they mean the expected life of the lamp which they claim is 3 years. i never got asked for a reciept tho and they didnt ask either.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ive got one of these, solid and reliable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caving-light-fishing-headlight-camping-headtorch-/220841456068?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item336b2d31c4[/URL]

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
H7 batteries last ages if you run it on low setting, its handy having it on full if you are landing a big fish in the surf, why do you want to light up the whole beach?,I put cheapo flea bay batteries in mine only £3 for 24,here is an easy fix to the leads pulling out the battery pack

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dont touch the Lenser H7. The dimmer lever on mine broke immediately, which was annoying but I thought I could live with that. Then the on/off button seized, I dont think it liked salty fingers!

I'm going to disobey you and suggest the Fenix HP10. It's bulletproof and extremely bright. It's more on th eheavy side but very solid with it. Mine's been twice round the world and it's still like new!

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
I now have a Lenser H14R which I got for about 120 quid from ebay. It's a great lamp - bright and very light.

I changed over from the Speleo, which although is still a better lamp, is not made any more but is very heavy compared to the Lenser.

I have no idea about the Fenix, but anything over about 140 lumens should be OK.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I like the H7 because of its functions, but have an old Energiser as a standby light, its never let me down yet and the batteries last for ages

·
Registered
942 Posts
I now have a Lenser H14R which I got for about 120 quid from ebay. It's a great lamp - bright and very light.

I changed over from the Speleo, which although is still a better lamp, is not made any more but is very heavy compared to the Lenser.

I have no idea about the Fenix, but anything over about 140 lumens should be OK.
Ouch!! Paul if the link below is the same lamp then it looks like you paid way over th odds for it.
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/head-t...h14-focusing-head-torch-210-lumen-output.html

Having said that it does look a good lamp and at £75 looks even more appealing. I paid just shy of that for my Princton Apex Pro which I've had now for 3 years and cannot fault. I'd say the Lenser H14R is a good contender...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the Fenix have the swivel down feature - I don't like shining a light directely out to sea if I can avoid it because it spookes the bass!!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Dont touch the Lenser H7. The dimmer lever on mine broke immediately, which was annoying but I thought I could live with that. Then the on/off button seized, I dont think it liked salty fingers!

I'm going to disobey you and suggest the Fenix HP10. It's bulletproof and extremely bright. It's more on th eheavy side but very solid with it. Mine's been twice round the world and it's still like new!
HP10 is now deleted, there may be a few kicking around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies - very useful to get proper feedback and not just reading the Marketing descriptions from the manufacturers

Going for the Lenser H14 (£69). Should be with me on Tuesday.

First outing likely to be North Wales after the Bass later that week!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts