World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Have not done a great deal of mackerel fishing but could one of you guys advise me as I have only ever fished when a high tide is in the evening.
When a high tide is around the middle of the day is it best to fish then or on the low tide in the evening

cheers ken

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi caught one,
personally an hour or two either side of high water is best, evening tides I find the best and a medium size tide and not a spring tide also helps.
Dont take it as gospel though as I have had them on low water on the odd occasion. There are quite a few other things to take into consideration to;
clarity of the water is important,
wind direction,
whitebait, if there arent any you are going to struggle as they come inshore to herd them onto the beach.
A usefull website which I use a lot is SURFRIDERS.CO.UK and gives you a 24hr live webcam looking out to sea beside the pier, it certainly takes out the travelling on the off chance of finding the sea perfect!
hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi caught one,
personally an hour or two either side of high water is best, evening tides I find the best and a medium size tide and not a spring tide also helps.
Dont take it as gospel though as I have had them on low water on the odd occasion. There are quite a few other things to take into consideration to;
clarity of the water is important,
wind direction,
whitebait, if there arent any you are going to struggle as they come inshore to herd them onto the beach.
A usefull website which I use a lot is SURFRIDERS.CO.UK and gives you a 24hr live webcam looking out to sea beside the pier, it certainly takes out the travelling on the off chance of finding the sea perfect!
hope this helps :thumbs:
Yes the info you have supplied is a great help , had a look at the webcam on the surfriders web site, it will be very useful as I live approx 40 miles inland

Ken

·
Registered
137 Posts
Think pikeslayer is right, the big tides seem to be why there are not many mackerel being caught this week off the pier at Cromer.Locals reckon the fish just don't like them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts