World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a half day off work so spent a few hours on a deep water mark on the cliffs before Auchmithie, thinking here'd be a better chance of a fish in deeper water.

Swell wasnt as big as id hoped for but the water held good colour and with a slight wind it was a pleasant change not to be fishing with it blowing a hoolie. Fished the tide 2hrs up and 2 down, plenty of bait robbers but no cod bites. I tried every bait combination known to man and still nothing. Ran out of tea about 6 so called it a day. Saw a few head lights up at Auchmithie, so maybe some anglers faired better?

Im wondering if the cod just arnt there in any numbers, and have headed off into deeper waters?

Time to put the cod rods away until maybe the summer for some kelpies?

Tighter lines all,
SC

·
Registered
157 Posts
A lot of people tend to pack it in a bit early. You should still be able to get a few fish till mid march. I think some treat it a bit like the trout, as they get ready to spawn they leave them alone to get on with it. I am not a cod expert though... I am sure some one else will pick up on this...

·
Registered
27 Posts
was thinking the same myself mate,first time shore fishing this winter and really enjoyed it(although a bit expensive,petrol,bait,tackle ect)so im looking forward to some warmer weather as im itching to try lure fishing for bass,pollack,mackies.can anyone tell me if the west coast(a wee bit closer)will be worth a try and when to venture out there?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The sea has flattened a bit and a lot of regulars have finished now, but a double was landed up near Aberdeen, so you never know.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies guys. I did think there would be a few fish around but thats two blanks in as many weeks fishing marks that tend to hold fish. We are all used to blanks but was looking for experienced views on when in feb the fish tend to thin out on the east coast and u put the rods away and get that DIY her indoors has been wanting done since november! :-(

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
DIY??!?!? Nooooooo!!!
The cod are still about mate, go fishing!!!
Seriously, they are still being caught, don't give up yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts