World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A mate has retired to Australia, on the shores of the Gippsland Lakes, and is thinking about one of the small aluminium boats that they call 'tinnies'.
To be honest, they don't look all that much cop to me, apart from being light and fast...
Has anyone on here had experience of the things ?

WSF Primary Administrator.
Try using the fantastic search engine on here Tom.

Registered
A mate has retired to Australia, on the shores of the Gippsland Lakes, and is thinking about one of the small aluminium boats that they call 'tinnies'.
To be honest, they don't look all that much cop to me, apart from being light and fast...
Has anyone on here had experience of the things ?
They use them alot over there,johnd will know about them! Maybe your mate could go to local slipways and see what makes and models the regulars are using. I've been out in a small linder ali boat with a 15hp on the back bleddy quick for what it was on a flat sea.ive been on a commercial robust boat,fast, very stable but looks horrible but a a safe working boat for sure.

Reactions: Bassnymph

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
They use them alot over there,johnd will know about them! Maybe your mate could go to local slipways and see what makes and models the regulars are using. I've been out in a small linder ali boat with a 15hp on the back bleddy quick for what it was on a flat sea.ive been on a commercial robust boat,fast, very stable but looks horrible but a a safe working boat for sure.
Think he's looking at a Linder..... wouldn't use one around here, but the sea conditions inshore there are probably a lot more benign.....

Reactions: cfish

Registered
For some reason those down under use tinnies alot more than us, and @JonD will tell you conditions are very different from here in the UK and altogether seem to sound more brutal. They must be able to hack it?!
i guess the climate helps with the inevitable aluminium degredation somehow.
We tend to be overly fond of nurturing our boats here where as the friends and family i have over there that have boats tend to view theirs as the equivalent of our cheap run arounds, somewhat disposable that will need replacing eventually. If its taken out of the water regularly, i imagine an ali hull would last significantly longer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Seems that he's after , or mulling, a SeaJay Creek Masta HS .

Registered
For some reason those down under use tinnies alot more than us, and @JonD will tell you conditions are very different from here in the UK and altogether seem to sound more brutal. They must be able to hack it?!
i guess the climate helps with the inevitable aluminium degredation somehow.
We tend to be overly fond of nurturing our boats here where as the friends and family i have over there that have boats tend to view theirs as the equivalent of our cheap run arounds, somewhat disposable that will need replacing eventually. If its taken out of the water regularly, i imagine an ali hull would last significantly longer.
Apparently in certain parts fibreglass boats suffer from the strong sunlight and heat?? Rubber inflatables are rare too.

Registered
My tinnie (4.3m Quintrex) is great in the bays over here. It's a very deep V and 15hp makes it plane with ease. 200kg wet makes it easy to tow/launch/recover and plenty of room for two. The structure is mostly TIG welded aluminium and very solid. For close-in work there's a casting platform in the bow. The bow structure is good enough that it parts waves with no incoming spray. Gets very bouncy in a heavy sea, but that's what we use the bigger boat for. It would take a 30hp two stroke and go like a rocket, but what's the point because there's never a hurry in Kerry! The hull is white powder coated and maintenance involves a flush off with a hose after flushing the motor. First boat I've seen with two drain plugs, one either side of the keel band, so the whole hull drains on the trailer, no wet pockets!

Registered
My tinnie (4.3m Quintrex) is great in the bays over here. It's a very deep V and 15hp makes it plane with ease. 200kg wet makes it easy to tow/launch/recover and plenty of room for two. The structure is mostly TIG welded aluminium and very solid. For close-in work there's a casting platform in the bow. The bow structure is good enough that it parts waves with no incoming spray. Gets very bouncy in a heavy sea, but that's what we use the bigger boat for. It would take a 30hp two stroke and go like a rocket, but what's the point because there's never a hurry in Kerry! The hull is white powder coated and maintenance involves a flush off with a hose after flushing the motor. First boat I've seen with two drain plugs, one either side of the keel band, so the whole hull drains on the trailer, no wet pockets!
Somewhat rare to see them here unless an alu-rib/sib arrangement, even then ive nor seen many
What was it that drew you to the tinnie in the firstplace over a grp hull SiDfish?

Registered
Think he's looking at a Linder..... wouldn't use one around here, but the sea conditions inshore there are probably a lot more benign.....
If in oz Quintrex is the ones to go for. Loads of models to choose from. I have the 420 dory with a 25 Suzuki on the back.
Positives-
Light and easy to launch retrieve
Fast with small engines
No maintenance and last donkeys
Negatives-
Can be a bit slammy in heavier seas
To be fair though the appeal of them is because they are easy to launch retrieve and maintain you can pick and choose your weather Windows.
I am confident going 5 miles off shore regularly in good conditions and only takes me 15 odd minutes at 20 knots.
Hope this helps.
Can post some photos of my setup if interested.

Registered
Bassnymph just answered much of the previous question. I got into light aluminium boats using assault craft in my youth. Big job drilling out all the steel rivets and replacing with ali. Light, fast and responsive boats, great for work and play. Friend knew of the Quintrex at a good price, owner insisted that I took it out fishing on my own before selling. Boat sold! They're so light and manoevreable and towed by a small car. I once tested a 7m ali catamaran, twin 30hp outboards. 30 knots plus at 3/4 throttle. Big deck (easy for 4), space to sleep and no need for a big tow vehicle. It also just sat flat whatever the tide or wind. Most parts of the world where they require rugged, towable boats they go for ali these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
If in oz Quintrex is the ones to go for. Loads of models to choose from. I have the 420 dory with a 25 Suzuki on the back.
Positives-
Light and easy to launch retrieve
Fast with small engines
No maintenance and last donkeys
Negatives-
Can be a bit slammy in heavier seas
To be fair though the appeal of them is because they are easy to launch retrieve and maintain you can pick and choose your weather Windows.
I am confident going 5 miles off shore regularly in good conditions and only takes me 15 odd minutes at 20 knots.
Hope this helps.
Can post some photos of my setup if interested.
20 knots was no problem for my little Orkney Coastliner, and she'd just throttle back and handle tougher weather very nicely besides.
Sadly missed, but, heigh-ho....

Registered
Really, you surprise me!!!
Ask for information regarding a certain type of boat. Get replies from several helpful people. Don鈥檛 thank one of them for their response. And revert back to what you think is best because you had one. My children have better manners. It鈥檚 obvious they really like tinnies because they don鈥檛 have the Orkney option isn鈥檛 it.

Registered
Ask for information regarding a certain type of boat. Get replies from several helpful people. Don鈥檛 thank one of them for their response. And revert back to what you think is best because you had one. My children have better manners. It鈥檚 obvious they really like tinnies because they don鈥檛 have the Orkney option isn鈥檛 it.
Mate I think you may be mistaken??? Badger replied to your post in kind.

Reactions: Mr Badger

Registered
Okay. Tell him to get an Orkney then! Your welcome by the way.
He wasn't disregarding your very helpful advice just saying about his boat that he obviously misses am sure he would of thanked you when he had the chance.

Reactions: Bassnymph
1 - 20 of 33 Posts