World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished behind Fleetwood golf club yesterday evening, just about to pack up and go to the Sea cadets when I hauled in this brute. I'm not to sure but think it's a bass. Its dorsal fin was kind of sail shaped with 3 spines, can someone please confirm if it's a bass.
If so it's my first 1 ever, if its a weaver it's my 1st 1 as well.
Got nowt else but stayed after this fish for another hour, sea was dead calm bait was frozen black.
[/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Fished behind Fleetwood golf club yesterday evening, just about to pack up and go to the Sea cadets when I hauled in this brute. I'm not to sure but think it's a bass. Its dorsal fin was kind of sail shaped with 3 spines, can someone please confirm if it's a bass.
If so it's my first 1 ever, if its a weaver it's my 1st 1 as well.
Got nowt else but stayed after this fish for another hour, sea was dead calm bait was frozen black.
[/IMG]
Its a weaver mate. If you had handled it you probably would not have been able to type your post thru the pain. Handle them with care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,367 Posts
Its a weaver mate. If you had handled it you probably would not have been able to type your post thru the pain. Handle them with care.
i'l second that look at sally's post on em
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
the lads are right laguna ..........................


i'm afraid to say its a weever just be careful there's some nasty venom in those spines


tightlines........................daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, lads did have my suspicions, was very carefull unhooking it. Hopefully a great big bass next time!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
if you ever get stung by a weaver, heat breaks down the venom, so get the stung area under hot water a.s.a.p. ie water from a flask as hot as you can stand it, this might be painful but it is heaven next to a weaver sting when it gets a grip and your hand then arm start to swell. Hope this saves someone a lot of pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
if you ever get stung by a weaver, heat breaks down the venom, so get the stung area under hot water a.s.a.p. ie water from a flask as hot as you can stand it, this might be painful but it is heaven next to a weaver sting when it gets a grip and your hand then arm start to swell. Hope this saves someone a lot of pain.

good advice billy :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:



tightlines....................daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
You're alucky chap - presume you picked it up by the tail. Usually they are out @ the LW mark - Ive never seen one on a tidal stretch b4:clap3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Never caught a Weaver and congratulations on catching what looks like an adequate sized fish.
Apparently the average size around the Fylde coast is around 15cm and is mainly found under shallow water around sandy shores, personally i don't know of any fisherman who catch them for the sport which leads to the question of: Do you catch and release or do you go for the kill?

After reading other forums, some fishermen would rather cut-off the head for the simple reason... it's just an "ugly-venomous" fish which is a danger to us all if handled wrong?
Others would sooner cut the line and throw it back under the false- pretence that the hook will disolve in a day or two (i was under the impression it takes at least 2 weeks for a hook to dissolve?) this would cause a slow and painfull death to the fish.
The most humane way "apparently" to handle poisonous fish such as the Weaver, is to unhook it using a T-bar, (something i don't carry with me) and to be honest something i've never used.

Reading other posts, most prefer the "decapitation" method for the above reasons; it's not edible, ugly and dangerous and it's a quick humane way of disposing them?
Personally if i ever have the privilege of catching one, i think my prefered option would be to release it unharmed.
I know we're all in this great "blood-sport" together, but sometimes it seems a fair option to catch and release certain fish.

This is my own personal opinion and i would like to hear anyone elses method.:g:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
if handled properly then you shouldn't get injured by the fish ,

like in any circumstances its inexperience that cause injury ,i don't condone killing something just because it might cause me harm ,
as an example i hate wasps but I'd rather get out the way of it and let it live than kill it ,
i always carry a pair of forceps with me to unhook fish and never been stung by a weaver and trust me Ive caught my fair share ,

don't understand why people have to decapitate the fish ????........

the weaver doesn't bite ,
the weavers only means of defence is here


and its not going to stop you getting stung buy chopping its head off ,
so the only reason must be to get the hook back in that case carry a pair of scissors and cut the snood as close to the mouth as possible {only to be done if you cant or don't fancy getting the hook back }i'd rather replace a hook and snood and release it rather than kill it out right then at least it has a chance to survive,:) :)



tightlines...........................daz
 

·
King of the Plaice
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Scalemate you write a good story, very dramatic and ideal fuel for the anti's...

This isn't rocket science guys, the vast majority of us are pro-conservation so regarding weavers I carry a thick cotton/rubber gardeners glove in the bottom of my bucket.

Wilky I've seen loads on the sands while out digging bait mate and often catch them at Rossall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
if anyone catches a weaver, whatever you do with it ,dont just kill it and leave it on the beach. weavers can sting even when they are dead (head on or not). a kid playing on the beach finding one would be in for a world of pain just by picking it up. i think the best thing would be just unhook it and let it go, what the hell are you going to do with a dead weaver anyway!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Bobbage - if you read my post I stated that weavers are usually around the low water mark, which I presume coincides with where you dig bait?

As to weavers being inedible - Rick Stein would probably disagree - admittedly the much larger Greater weaver, but weaver is apparently an essential ingredient for the classic fish soup known as bouillabaise - at least in one version I saw prepd on telly. Before anyone else says it - no I wouldnt eat one either, unless I was a)desperate and b) lucky enought to catch one
 

·
King of the Plaice
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Wilky I think we've got our wires crossed somewhere, I have caught them at high tide (normally in the first hour of the ebb) at Rossall. I thought by tidal stretch you meant the area the tide comes in over? I must have misinterpreted things mate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Up at high water ? Well thats something new on me - Ive never had one. or seen one anywhere other than LW, or off a boat:giveup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
just take it off the hook, there are loads of scare stories about these fish saying that you can die and your head explodes blah blah blah. Some people can die from eating peanuts and probably more do. I have been stung good and proper by a weaver and my hand swelled up a little and it was uncomforatble for a day or so. There is no need to treat them badly due to ignorance. Incidentally the greater weaver is edible, probably the lesser too but you would stuggle to get anything off it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,397 Posts
A lot of people get stung by wasps and dont die, but a % get a reaction and do ! You never know if you suffer anaphalctic unless you actually have a sting. If you did not suffer serious pain form a weever sting, then you are a lucky man, some folks suffer pain on the sting site for years !

Treat them with respect, I just clamp my forcepts on the bend of the hook and shake them off into the briney, dont leave them for some unsuspecting kid to pick up of dog to stand on.

The lesser weevers sting is supposidly more potent then its big brother the greater weever as well !

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19395&highlight=weever

They are good to eat, out Oriental cousins really rate them, as mentioned, heat kills the poison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,982 Posts
Up at high water ? Well thats something new on me - Ive never had one. or seen one anywhere other than LW, or off a boat:giveup:
:) get on the slabs at high water in the middle of summer , you'l be sick of catchin em after a while , and they give a crackin bite too
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cuberd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
:) get on the slabs at high water in the middle of summer , you'l be sick of catchin em after a while , and they give a crackin bite too
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cuberd
well thats probably where im going wrong, cos I do the vast majority of my beach work in the middle of the night in the middle of winter, and I suppose weavers are more of a summer species. OK white flag raised at this point
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top