World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents
I was just wandering what your opinion is on the old tip Tornado Sport compared to the new version. I heard a lot of people say the older version is a much nicer fishing rod. It would be nice to hear from somebody who has owned the both rods.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i have the old tip tornado with the orange underwhipping, its a very nice rod very good for fishing but not really my type of rod find it abit to bendy and think it takes abit long to recover from the cast i think its just the style of cast i do. but the rod will definatly handle any condition. iv reeled 4 makrel up shields pier wall on mine. think iv heard the newer 1 with the metal band on the joint is a little bit stiffer, but seems alot of people like the tip tornado i got mine for christmas 4 year ago be lucky if its been used 8 times everyone has there own opinion with rods and i like the stiffer the better :p think il be using my kompressor ss from now on very good bite detection and nice and stiff that will do me.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Hi Gents
I was just wandering what your opinion is on the old tip Tornado Sport compared to the new version. I heard a lot of people say the older version is a much nicer fishing rod. It would be nice to hear from somebody who has owned the both rods.
I have the older TT Sport which I think is a fantastic rod. I use it on rougher marks like Newton Point, Aberthaw etc.
I have used the new Sport & it is a more powerful & more tippy rod. TBH I found it a little to powerful for me which is the reason I have stuck with the older model. The older Sport is good on the field though & has been cast 285 yards so is no slouch (not by me though).
They are both very good rods & I know people who prefer the new model for fishing over the old one.
Try them both if you can & make your decision then.

headlight

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gents, any other comments welcome

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Can't comment on the new Sport but I've got the old one and I think it is a fantastic fishing rod that can also put a bait a long long way. Plenty of power in there with a fishing pendulum, holds up well in the tide / wind and good bite detection.

I'm sure someone will be able to bring one along to Surfcast Wales for you to have a play, but speaking as someone who has cast the CM Crest just shy of 250 yards I'd pick the Mk 1 TT Sport for fishing any day of the week.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i own both rods, and for certain the newer model is a far superior
rod, stiffer in action better balanced, all in all a allround better rod.

paco.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
i own both rods, and for certain the newer model is a far superior
rod, stiffer in action better balanced, all in all a allround better rod.

paco.
Is that casting wise or fishing wise Paco? How would you compare the bite detection on the new model compared to the old? And being stiffer has it lost any of its "feel" with a fish on?

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
i also heard the mk1's are better than the recent ones. i got a mk1 tt match and love it so much i gotta get another from somewhere lol

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have one of the first tip tornados, back when they were century formula around early nineties I believe they were first released. The old rod has a fantastic tip shows up the smallest bites and bends over when a fish takes almost like a flattie quiver rod and it locks up about a quarter down from the tip to make a nice J curve stiff enough to retrieve over roughest ground, perfect for wrasse fishing or scratching from piers and can cast a fair distance to.

I also have the new tip tornado sport which is a totally different beast, much more power in the mid section and a much smoother action, stiff butt bends from around half way into more of a c curve, tip is a little stiffer than expected but still shows bites well and is a pleasure to fish and cast with and more than capable of landing any fish that swims in our waters.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have been using the TT sport for a while on the field and find it capable of very good distances ( last weekend 230+ meters ) on the 125 gram lead.

I have also used it off the beach targeting smooth hounds and sharks and though I haven't gotten my target species have take Skate to quite a size . The rod handles 6 oz grip leads and largish strip baits with ease and registers bites well on the bigger fish. I targeting the smaller species on a cleaner beach I prefer mt Super Match .

The rod loads up well and then spits the lead out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3vxMSLLyx0

Here's a video of it in action.

·
Registered
502 Posts
would certainly agree with king red rum, it is centurys best selling rod
by some distance, the tt sport and the match both cracking rods.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks gent, absolutely brilliant response, I now have a good feel for the rods. I have borrowed a MK 1, so out tomorrow to have a cast with it. Hope to fish with it this week as well. What sort of money would I have to pay for a MK 1 in good condition.

Thanks again to all that took the time to reply, this forum:group: rocks.:victory:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts