World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the technique, that of adding a little something extra on the hook, (mackerel tipped with a sliver of squid), but why? Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I understand the technique, that of adding a little something extra on the hook, (mackerel tipped with a sliver of squid), but why? Cheers, Tony O-P.
As I understand it tipping off is an offence under the money laundering regulations!!!

The purpose behind it is to a: Increase the scent trail, two baits will give a larger scent than one and
b: is that the different colours contrast against one another and are therefore more visible.
c: Finally, a flapping tail on a bait creates movement which also helps to attract a fish's attention.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Another reason for tipping off especially with squid is that the tougher squid bait can help to stop crabs stripping softer baits so easily and also to keep softer baits on the hook during the cast.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. Every little bit of knowledge gained helps me not look quite such a ........! Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
it's a bit like a bacon sarny with no sauce. nice but needs that extra little something to make it mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

it can also help keep the hook point clear, so you will have more hook ups.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
tipping a hook with a certain bait at the right time can mean the difference between catching and not.

what you tip with will vary on the species your after and where your fishing for them.

never start a session with all your hooks tipped off. use a 2 hook rig and only tip one until you find what the fish want and if they want tip baits of not.

if your getting bites and missing them and after reeling in you find the tip bait is still left on the hook but the bait on the back of the hook is gone imediately stop tipping your baits as the fish dont want it. you,ll find that you hook up straight away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts