World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of crab to the bigger fish tend to like and also what size/type hooks should I be using. Only ever caught them before on floatfished Rag off some rocks near Bowleaze Cove/Weymouth and they weren`t that big. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hardback crabs are better for sorting out the decent Wrasse, peelers and Rag will catch big ones as well but chances are they'lll get destroyed by the smaller Wrasse before the big ones get to them. Try float fishing, it may save your ragworms from the crabs ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume these are the common ones that are in abundance in most rock pools? If so can I collect locally/freeze, then use down in Cornwall on my holiday or should I buy/collect my own when I get there.
Changing the subject completely, are there any Mullet around the Looe area?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Tusk. Peeler would be my first choice although ordinary live hardback shore crabs work well. Go for ones about 1.5" to 2" across. Rag is deadly when used with float tackle but usually catches the smaller fish. For larger specimens, a single hook paternoster with a rotten bottom is the way to go armed with a strong hook. Please remember that wrasse are very territorial and once the local population is wiped out, it takes a long time for them to recover. Hope this helps.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Tusk,

One of the natural foods for wrass is limpet - just look at a wrass's mouth and you can see that it's designed to grab a limpet and pull it off it's rock, and I can absolutely confirm to you that limpet will catch wrass every time - they just love it. So go down to the sea shore, knock a bucket full of limpets off the rocks, take them out of their shells with your thumb nail and put them on your hook, keeping the soft black bit in tact if you can. If you don't catch wrass with this bait let me know, and I'll jump of the end of the pier!!!!

Cheers........

·
Registered
443 Posts
Used to use limpets as a kid with plenty of success when I had no cash to buy bait and know that they are a natural food of wrasse. I am interested in the view that they are a better bait than rag or crab - has anyone ever tried the various options on the same mark at the same time to reach conclusion?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
out yesterday at blackhead,4 decent wrasse biggest 4lb 1oz all fell to peeler, they weren't interested in ragworm / hardbacks. is it the weather or are they developing expensive tastes? by the way keep your shirt on, look like a lobster this morning.gareth.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Without doubt hardback crab is the best bait for the bigger wrasse, but they need to be alive. Keep them in a bucket with damp seaweed on top which should be kept wet and in the shade. Dont cram to many in a bucket else the ones at the bottom will die. I find a 6/0 pat rig best or any strong hook with a large gap Receintly had a nice fish of 5lb 15oz 8 drms caught on plymouth breakwater. Gave a great fight, and wone me £120 sqiud bought time i had some luck. Hope this help

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts