World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me a few tips where along chesil beach is the best place to fish for smoothhounds and whats best baits and rigs to use to try catch one. im fishing with a mate and be good if im one step above him in trying . and are they far out to catch do i have to cast along way out .be really grateful of some advice . thanks again spursboyz

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
ive never fished chisel,,,but im not sure if they get them there? your better off selsey or portsmouth area,,,i maybe wrong tho,,,someone will put you right on here,,,id say a little to early as yet for em,,TIGHT LINES

·
Registered
424 Posts
i fished Cogden last in a match and there was loads and about 2weeks ago there was some at west bex in a match. crab is the best bait for them

·
Registered
975 Posts
You will get a good run here (Selsey into the Solent & out) May ... summer
Simple pulley rig 1/0 2/0 Pennel & Crab baits - nice big fresh peeler !

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you are no big caster then i would use a long/low with a pennel hook set up. It will keep your bait on the bottom no matter how far you cast. I had three decent smoothy's about 70yds at Cogden so a big cast is not always needed.
Best rig would bew a pulley really but it needs to have a long snood and keep your tip low if you are close in.
Either set your grag to allow the fish to take off with your bait, or stay very close to your rod!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Peeler the best, softies next, rag and hermit cocktail a alternitive. They also take whole squid early and late in there season.........

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i always used flowing traces (clipped sliding ledger rigs) with about a 4-5ft snood, usually a 4/0 pennel set-up with carb, not necessarily peeler !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.