World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of investing in some new winter clothing and heard all about the titan range etc...is it that good or not i know people havethere preferences but what do you guys think

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pile of ****e! Back up service is non existent, they don't wanna know! Anybody disagrees, buy one and put it to the test!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi,

I've have used Titan Clothing for the last 20 years and cannot fault it.

Yes, it could be improved in many ways but it has never let me down.

My Salopettes and Jacket/Smock are washed after each use and are re-proofed every year with Fabsil.

They have an excellent customer service dept. When I had the front of my smock eaten by mice, they repaired it without charge, I only paid the £6 postage.

They are as good now as they were when bought.

Regards

Drew

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's good stuff i have the cotton smock, simple and efficient clothing. Since i have had it for ages i have no experience with their aftermarket service.

·
Registered
260 Posts
otto said:
Pile of ****e!
I have to agree.

The cotton smock is the only decent item of their clothing ive owned.

The salopettes and coat leaked at the seams even before the stitching came undone, which didnt take long.

The zips are also very poor quality and didnt take long to seize up or snap either:wallbash:

Steer well clear!

A mate in work has a really good all in one waterproof he picked up for £40 from a local motorbike shop. He uses it on his bike for the 20 mile ride to work and back and assures me it doesnt leak even in heavy rain. It is a little thin, so would need warm clothes underneath in the winter, but this makes it easy to move around in.

Ill find out and post the make of it next time i speak to him.

Thats what ill be buying for the coming winter.:1a:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have an old Bob Church Wax cotten all in one. got it when I did a lot of winter league matches 20yrs ago never let me down and keeps me warm. Have a look at freash water gear is what I think i'm saying?????

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have had a titan waterproof smock for the last 5 or 6 years and it is still as good as new. By the sound of other reports I have been lucky, but I would recommend them and certainly buy another one

·
Registered
182 Posts
have 4 of the cotton smocks, they only fade, but dont they all!
also had the storm jacket for years, only had to faabsil it twice in that time, seems to be grand.
actually thinking of getting a green waterproof smock from them now to double up for use on the rivers as well...
i hear good and bad reports....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Reports on Titan gear seem to come from both extremes. I've had a coat and bib&brace for three years now. The bib&brace is knackered from hard use and the zip failed from straining around my increasing girth. But the coat is fine. They have leaked, but only in seriously heavy rain, and usually because I sat down in the wet. I reckon I have had my money's worth, and I will be buying new bib&brace for the winter (in a larger size).

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have the cotton smock. Cant fault it, comfortable and well designed for casting.
Got mine from ebay, brand new, cheaper then Tittan main dealers and free post and pakaging.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i have owned the titan waterproof smock for 15yrs and it is brilliant twice a year i wash it and then hang it up to dry in garage then spray it with fabsil and it has never leaked,i also own the 35ltr matchmans rucksack which is also 15yrs old and no ptoblems again wash and reproof regularly,brilliant bits of kit

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Had the coat since it first came out (didnt fancy the salopettes to go with it at the time) The coat is donkeys years old,wore it this week,washed it this week ,its still going strong. Its great to be able to put a fishing coat in the washing machine,better than smelly old floatation suits in my opinion.

Its not a great coat for keeping you warm in the depths of winter,more clothing is best worn underneath compared to say a floatation suit for warmth. But its small enough and light enough to carry easily if fishing day and night in the summer,plus i use mine winter time too with more layers of clothing underneath.

Its such a good coat in my opinion that ive bought a new one and salopettes ready to wear when my old titan coat finally wears out.

There were buy it now deals on the auction site that let you get the coat AND salopettes for the price just the coat would cost in a shop usually. So for that price i cant see anything better available.

I bought a really expensive(nearly £200) set of coat n salopettes that are warmer and intended for the winter,but i find i use the titan coat more as its so easy to move/cast in it compared to the heavier but warmer clothing.Plus being able to put the titan clothing in the washing machine is a big plus.

Mine was definately a good buy for the time its lasted/amount used.

·
Registered
728 Posts
When I bought my coat, it came with a detachable fleece jacket to wear inside. But the bib&brace keeps my back so warm, I only use the fleece maybe twice a year.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I bought a a two piece over 10 years ago. The jacket is still going strong. The two new Titan jackets & have bought since have both failed in the zip area. The grey linings on the new jackets have quickly fallen apart. The older black lined jacket is still OK. I would say that the quality has gone down in recent times.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
i have owned the titan waterproof smock for 15yrs and it is brilliant twice a year i wash it and then hang it up to dry in garage then spray it with fabsil and it has never leaked,i also own the 35ltr matchmans rucksack which is also 15yrs old and no ptoblems again wash and reproof regularly,brilliant bits of kit
It may be how you look after the gear depends on what you get back. I also look after my waterproofs by hosing them down in the garden after ive used them and when dry hanging them up in my garage, not folding and storing them.

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
When I bought my coat, it came with a detachable fleece jacket to wear inside. But the bib&brace keeps my back so warm, I only use the fleece maybe twice a year.

like me i've had/got the same with no probs very warm in winter too warm in fact with the fleece tha sallopetts are well used as well again with good results .

i've even had and still have my titan smock for yrs i fabsill it and use it over the really muddy marks

titan clothing?a big deffo from me..

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
It may be how you look after the gear depends on what you get back. I also look after my waterproofs by hosing them down in the garden after ive used them and when dry hanging them up in my garage, not folding and storing them.
:eek:hmy:It seems that some are good and some are awful, as with most mass produced items, what makes a difference is how you're treated when you have a problem and I've heard many times how bad Titan's after sales service is. It varies apparently from complete indifference to downright rudeness. If you buy from a shop it's the shop's responsibility to sort the problem out with the wholesaler, not yours. Also the sale of goods act entitles you to, a refund, a repair or a replacement, your choice, depending on how long it took the fault to appear. Trading Standards should be your first port of call if you feel the retailer isn't applying the law fairly. I have been very badly treated in the past by shops but I've swotted up on consumer law and believe me, some of the biggest names in retail are the worst in complying with the sale of goods act, they know the law but they don't want to comply with it because it will cost them money and they know that most customers will give up and walk away if it's too much hassle. They also know that if they are taken to court the fine will be insignificant compared to the cost of complying with the law. They can't lose, they rip customers off to the tune of £millions a year but only get a token fine if someone takes them to court.:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
thinking of investing in some new winter clothing and heard all about the titan range etc...is it that good or not i know people havethere preferences but what do you guys think
If you want good reliable foul weather gear you can't beat the stuff that the commercial fishermen wear which is a PVC/cotton fabric. Buy it in a big size and wear plenty of insulating layers in winter and in summer it will hang loose and let the air circulate.

Breathable clothing needs too much maintenance and doesn't take kindly to hard wear and dirty conditions. PVC on the other hand can take a lot of punishment and punctures and small rips can be repaired with urethane sealant.

Have a look at this stuff http://www.hellyhansen-workwear.com/buy-online/pvc-waterproof/drammen-jacket/0/

http://www.hellyhansen-workwear.com/buy-online/pvc-waterproof/drammen-bib/0/

Wouldn't recommend the pink though!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts