World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it really increase your distance and protect your bait ?

does it prevent tangles or make them worse ?

over the rough isnt the clip just another rig bit to get snagged ?

·
Registered
83 Posts

Why use clips and impact shields, when you can use a DVice.
Nothing is safe when you are fishing on rough ground, agreed, but when you are fishing anywhere, getting a presentable bait to the fish is the most important factor.
Large baits are less aerodynamic and therefore, don't cast so well.
Delicate baits tend to be destroyed in the casting process, unless mumified in elastic or cotton.
Live baits tend to die, when the extreme forces of the cast and the impact of the water are present.
Bait clips and impact shields, also dictate the design of the rig, as more often than not the rig is designed for casting, and not best tailored to present the bait.

The most important factor is often lost with modern fishing techniques, that important factor is: The bait.......!
Fish are only interested in that one thing. It doesn't matter a s**t what equipment you have on the beach or the boat, so long as the bait is palatable and best presented to suit the fishes feeding quirks.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BAIT....!

OCB.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

If you are fishing close in you really should not need top clip anything, Long range you need to gererally. There are plenty of ways to clip a bait down without using the Impact shield (although they are tried and tested) Fox do them in 3 sizes and the bigger ones protect bait better than the small. Yes they do create a snagging problem in rough/kelpy areas.

·
Registered
424 Posts

The answer to your first paragraph is yes in both instances. Even when fishing at shorter range clips can be useful help to protect soft baits such as mussel. Clips can also prevent whirling snoods or traces from wrapping around the rig body, depending on the particular rig.

I don't find that clips themselves get snagged: it's usually the lead or occasionally the hook. The answer is to use a rotten bottom along with weaker snoods and/or hooks that will straighten out when pulling for a break. You can then retrieve and reuse all the other components.

The Dvice is excellent over cleaner ground and is even better than clips at preventing tangles but is currently only available in one size, which is a little over 5oz. If that suits then you might want to give it a try.

The Dvice also scores when using off-the-ground casts as when using clips the snoods can release if tension on them is slackened while laying out the cast.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
The answer to your first paragraph is yes in both instances. Even when fishing at shorter range clips can be useful help to protect soft baits such as mussel. Clips can also prevent whirling snoods or traces from wrapping around the rig body, depending on the particular rig.

I don't find that clips themselves get snagged: it's usually the lead or occasionally the hook. The answer is to use a rotten bottom along with weaker snoods and/or hooks that will straighten out when pulling for a break. You can then retrieve and reuse all the other components.

The Dvice is excellent over cleaner ground and is even better than clips at preventing tangles but is currently only available in one size, which is a little over 5oz. If that suits then you might want to give it a try.

The Dvice also scores when using off-the-ground casts as when using clips the snoods can release if tension on them is slackened while laying out the cast.

Cheers,

John
whats a dvice
thanx

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Using a 1 up 1 down I can get 100 yards without clipping down and the bait stays intact with no tangles, if I need the extra distance I'll buy a boat. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Clips have come a long way. Impact leads/imps and cascade swivels add virtually nothing to the rig. If in doubt about whether to use them or not - I choose to use them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't bother with clips buy would use impact shield/clips if I wanted more distance but I don't think there is much in it for any other than very powerful casters.

John

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
ive seen me go to great lenghs tying up rigs ,only to find just before a cast that the hooks came off the clip do i sit the rod down and re attatch ,do i heck off it goes into the water to take its chances stuff it
why the hell do i buy these things again (thumps head)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Impact shields add quite a bit of drag to a rig even though they do offer some protection to soft baits that need to be cast a long way. If you need to present a soft bait a long way, try a flat back lead with an incorporated bait clip, this will give you extra distance and superb protection for soft baits.

I am not starting a debate on why the need to cast a long way with soft baits blah blah blah !!
It has been done to death before ! long range tactics are a part of beach fishing where I live, although not always I should add.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
i prefer clipped traces when fishing on piers or crowded areas. theres less to snag up on thing during the cast or flying hooks.

much safer.

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
any idea of a price?

ta :)

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
never use bait sheilds,mainly cos it's an extra expense on a rig,looks bulky and the only bait problems i have is in the first moments of the cast.if in need of extra distance,then i clip just behind the lead,which seems to act like a bait sheild itself:g:.if i'm really concerned about the bait,then out comes the good old bait elastic:)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
never use bait sheilds,mainly cos it's an extra expense on a rig,looks bulky and the only bait problems i have is in the first moments of the cast.if in need of extra distance,then i clip just behind the lead,which seems to act like a bait sheild itself:g:.if i'm really concerned about the bait,then out comes the good old bait elastic:)
Agree with all that m8 - but clipping really comes into it's own when using bait like maddies, which really don't stay on the hook with anything but the smoothest, short cast;)

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Agree with all that m8 - but clipping really comes into it's own when using bait like maddies, which really don't stay on the hook with anything but the smoothest, short cast;)

do tend to find it's the start of the cast and not the landing that breaks them up,unless you're roger the voodoo bus man who just walks out,drops the bait and walks back in again.mind you,it would be interesting to see him do that on mumbles:unsure::)
maddies are probably a bait where the device would work best:unsure::)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts