World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A highlight of Go Fishing at the NEC was listening to the Sea Angling 'lectures', and in particular the one-to-one chat afterwards. (They actually managed to got a word in with me!) They'd been talking (Steve Almark in this case) about constructing rigs for distance. Thus they were talking about methods of streamlining and release etc. which I've read about but don't use. I use 3 way swivels as I don't go in for distance casting because of a chronic condition I suffer from - a pathetic technique which results in an inability to pass 80yds - still I've learnt to live with it!) Anyway .... the rigs on show where using crimps to seperate and hold (like shampoo!!) the snoods and I mentioned that the crimp things have always ruined my trace when retrieved through weed. Almark explains that he never uses them himself and proceeds to demonstarte his method.

He gets that material which I use to make slidingt stop-knots when float fishing. By putting in at least six turns in the knot he constructs a knot which resisted sliding! So his method is to isolate the snood on a swivel and trap it on the trace using two beads and two stop knots top and bottom!! It's such a simple procedure and resulted in a trace without weak points and all those knots in the monofilament. My scepticism must have been obvious (without saying anything honest! - very obvious body language me!) So he got me to tie one and try to shift it. You've guessed it the bl**dy thing was solid! I'll definitely try it!!

The other thing I saw was a bead-swivel so you could feed the rig body through the bead and secure it top and botttom (now with stop knots!!) The loop of the (half) swivel was then ready to take the hook snood. They were on one of the hundreds of carp stands (well it seemed like 100s!)

Sorry if this is a method (above) that's known widly - it was new to me!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Did you have a good day out Swelly ? LOL @ shampoo comment :D

I have tried powergum stop knots as you describe - took me a while to figure out that you need 2 of them to hold everything tight, but even then I still struggle with a bit of slippage now and again (perhaps I should see the doctor) usually after catching a fish (which 9 times out of 10 turns out to be a dogfish). My trace wallet currently has a mixture of crimped and knotted stand offs - not sure which is best really, but for traces which have a cascade set up I guess the stop knots are a better bet as it allows you to replace a hooklength without having to destroy the whole rig.

Fortunately, like most things 'terminal' (as in tackle, not something more morbid) the fish don't seem to care.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have said that ALL speakers were on about having MASSES of pre-tied rigs (much more than the three or so tangled up ones that I have.) This was not so much to do with Match Fishing (whatever that is) but to do with not wasting time when fish might be biting (whatever that is) and the need to change distance and methods (whatever etc. etc.) I've never tried having a baited up rig ready hanging like trophies from my tripod. Perhaps I should be more serious about catching fish rather than just going fishing!

The other REAL TRUISM they mentioned was the almost inevitable disatrous cast that ensues immediately AFTER you've just finally caught something!
A sort of COD'S Law

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

I usually make up my own rigs and always crimp, I've never had a rig break at the crimp, I usually snap off on the weaker line if I snag. I think some people just use the wrong tool for crimping, there is a write up on crimping in the 'Rigs and Knots' section on the board, which is worth a read.

Regards A..

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have you tried using "smarties" - ( swivel and crimp combined ) - dead easy to make up rigs as there no pffaffing about with swivels, beads and power gum .;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts