World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in a boat from Lymington last week, and one of the crew said he does not remove the scales from Bass or Bream. Does it make any differrance ? I have been in the habit of scraping them off, but if it's not required, it would save a load of time and mess.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It depends on how your going to cook and eat them. If you want to eat the skin then take them off. If they are going on the bbq then leave the scales on as it keeps the skin taught and saves it curling off the meat, thus holding the fillet together.

To save mess when taking scales off use the back of your knife blade in a cutting/filleting action starting at the tail to lift the scales rather than scraping them. This stops them flicking everywhere. Do this before gutting your fish to make it easier. As for saving time, it only takes about 60 seconds to scale an average size fish in this manner.

·
Banned
396 Posts
my step dawter is an ace chef, she cooks at the sharrow bay geust house on ullswater which is a top haunt of the rich in the lakes, anyway ill cut the braggin. When me and er indoors had tried bass i wasnt too impressed thought it was overated to be honest ontill..........she told us to fillet the fish leavin the skin on bur totally descaling it ..........then place the fillets in a dish and pour exstra virgin olive oil over them........place in the fridge overnight with clingfilm over them......... when you want to chomp it take a fryin pan put your dry seasoning in the pan we just put a bit o pepper in..........get the pan hot as you dare......... place the fillets into the pan skin side down the olive oil is taken into the fish whilst in the fridge......it comes back out of the fillets when it hits the pan.........the best fish i ever did eat ....awsum :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I usually take the scales off as like eating the skin, but otherwise leave them on and either skin the fish raw or when cooked.

·
Banned
396 Posts
if yor in a rush to eat your bass the same thing can be done in the freezer it just quickens the process up about an hour in our freezer but its old........ i honestly cant overstate how good this way is we couldnt believe the difference from our usual way.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts