World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Some advice, comments and recommendations on my boat gear would be useful please :notworthy

My gear....

For the past 2 years I've been using a Ron Thompson Kamikaze 6' (20lb class) boat rod and use it for everything from inshore (Bream, small pollack, whiting) to Wrecking (Cod, Pollack, Ling, Conger) it's coupled with a Dam Power Pirate reel and I use Accubraid 20lb line with a leader. This gear came as a cheap package from Spotty Dog Tackle and has been brilliant as my 1st all round set up.
I like the rod cos of the glass tip and using braid it's sensitive to the smallest bites and it seems I don't lose much on the way up because the tip is quite soft and forgiving yet I'm able to play larger fish but can hold them as it seems quite powerful in the mid section. The reel... well the reel is cheap also but it has been problem free when mates have had problems with reels more than twice the price.

I'm thinking about upgrading but I'm a bit worried that if I spend my money I'll be dissapointed. My intention is to continue with the inshore stuff mixed up with occasional channel wrecking trips also.

I was considering replacing this gear with an all-rounder again so I was considering the Abu Suveran Pro Boat 7'9" (20-30lb) or maybe a Shimano Interline (As Tom B recommends) coupled with the Shimano Torium 20. This seems to be a whole lot of money to spend though assuming I'm fairly happy with my cheap gear. Will my sport be significatly improved by upgrading or am I better to stick to what I know? I am aware that the cheaper gear may let me down at some point though.

Thanks for any help or experiences shared. :notworthy :notworthy

:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can get some brilliant kit if you don't require the latest models. Daiwa SLOSH20 would be a great 20lb class braid reel (strong with 6:1 ratio) and you can get them for less than £70. On the heavier end of the 20-30lb class, Shimano TLD15 - similar capacity to the Torium20 - £85 from Veals.

·
Registered
464 Posts
TLD15 gets my vote. A lot of reel for the money. Look after it (Leave the clutch off between trips) and it will last you a good few years. Match it to you current rod. Get used to it. Then in a years time look for a rod upgrade. In the mean time, look at what others are using.

G

·
Your sport will not miraculously transform, but you will get more pleasure from quality kit.

One suggestion is that the Torium 16 is more suited to 20lb class and the 20 to 30lb class (they are fairly chunky reels).

The Interlines are lovely to use, but take a little getting used to to start with.

Assuming you have a full time job and angling is your passion in life then the investment for these two (well under £200) should not be too heavy financially, but you will enjoy the experience.

As a passing thought... I am selling my Torium 20 (with original box), Speedmaster 6/12 (with bag), my Beastmaster 100, 150 and 200 (all bagged) to anyone interested.... PM me if you are....

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a passing thought... I am selling my Torium 20 (with original box), Speedmaster 6/12 (with bag), my Beastmaster 100, 150 and 200 (all bagged) to anyone interested.... PM me if you are....
Cheers Tom

Agreed to purchase the Torium and Beastmaster 100 and 200.

I can't wait to get out again. Next Wednesday from Beer so will report then.

Thanks to Terryswindon and Spill for your advice and help :notworthy :notworthy

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts