World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this a bit before my last trip. When i hook a whole squid I don't bother peeling the skin off, yet when I use it as a tipping bait its gets peeled.

Is there any advantage in either method?

I can't say I've noticed any difference.

What does everyone else think?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I've used squid a lot over the years and it's used the way it comes, un peeled and un gutted. I've never seen the point in peeling the skin off and or gutting it.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i'm the same as you dave, for the most part, when using whole squid from the shore i'll often chuck em out as they are, sometimes i'll peel them if the water is mucky, purely as i figure they'll be easier to see, at night too.

if tipping, then peel, yes, the white 'tip' is to attract fish, least that's how i view it, i don't often do it myself, but smaller baits are always peeled / gutted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
would have to agree with crazyplums always use untouched whole but peel when tipping off.:g:

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
someone told be the skin is bitter/repelling, so its better to peel em, and its upped their catch rate :g:

saying that, fish dont have thumbs, and someone once told me dogs cant look up....
i think in murkey water, i wouldn't make much difference, but it clearer water, the white flash would catch attention (if nothing else)

im trying peeled un-gutted whole at the mo, snipping the top of the tip off and removing the spine,

might just leave as is later as ive only just started using it whole...
peeled for now anyways.

al.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
When I use whole squid I usually slash it a couple of times, just to get the scent out quicker. i have never bothered peeling them, fish them how they come, full of all their tasty squid goodness!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts