World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... that is the question.

Ok folks here's the story...... I use 6500 Elites for my shore fishing, which are great for most of the time. Ive also recently decided to do a bit of boat fishing locally, which Im sure they will cope with 90% of the uptiding that I will be doing but I dont want to push them too far.
So, back to the question... What do you think of the SL20SH for uptiding and broken ground/fast tide 6-8oz shore fishing? Do they sit well on a rod with either coasters or a fixed seat? Are they suited to 20-25lb line?

Ta for your thoughts folks. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
excellent choice for what you want it for,also consider the abu 7000, i`ve used both for uptiding and heavy beach work and they both work fine.
i tried the 525 mag for the same and was not as impressed as i was with the other two reels.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent choice for what you want it for,also consider the abu 7000, i`ve used both for uptiding and heavy beach work and they both work fine.
i tried the 525 mag for the same and was not as impressed as i was with the other two reels.

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Slosh is tough as old boots for boat work - sits surprisingly low on the butt (top of spool is very close to my M525mag for cast-thumbing) - and I can't distinguish (much) between it and my 525 suppermag for casting performance.

with coasterrs for me - but i cant imagine a reel seat would be a problem

its clicker is one of its best features very loud and holds to a good tension

luv ABUs 7000-9000 too

Al

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i use the slosh20 off the beaches now, but always used it over rough ground
u cant fault them m8t. use fixed reel seat on mine but the slosh's come also
with a clamp:)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Get an ABU 7500 C3 OR if you prefer a lever drag a 7000 LD Andy on ebay both for around £50 each.

Ron

7000 LD is a great reel and I use it for most of my boat fishing now. I use my supermag for light stuff too. I managed to pick up a Sealine 50H & a Penn 85 for £8 the pair at a car boot the other week and I also had to stop myself from buying a Mitchell 624 just for sentimental reasons. The 624 was my first (and only) sea reel in the early 70s and was used for beachcasting on the Holderness coast and boat fishing all over the shop. It served me well, stood up to some real abuse and never missed a beat.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
SL20SH will cope with anything you throw its way boat or shore mate, lovely reels.
Neal
The Skink

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
slosh everytime mate they will do everything and they are bombproof havnt had a couple of mine serviced in 5 years and they are still going strong i did try a 525 but never really got confidant with it ,never had a birds nest on the slosh either i must admit all mine are 30s but they just hold more line,my reels are loaded with 18lbs,25lbs,30lbs red ice and 50lbs spiderwire braid and they all perform well you can probably guess i like them:notworthy

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replies people, all sorted now. Im going for the 7500s, mainly for the uptiding, though I wouldnt mind betting that I'll be ordering a pair of sloshes for the heavier shore work in the near future, just dont tell the missus eh!! ;););)

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i have a slosh, i use it mainly off the beach (which is amazing) and i use it to go wrecking, on the boat it works smoothly, and is hard as nails!! its the smuts nuts!!

i would go for the Slosh 20 not 30 as you can still use it on the beach. the 20 is perfect for cod and pollock of the wrecks.

Jamie

·
Registered
424 Posts
... that is the question.

Ok folks here's the story...... I use 6500 Elites for my shore fishing, which are great for most of the time. Ive also recently decided to do a bit of boat fishing locally, which Im sure they will cope with 90% of the uptiding that I will be doing but I dont want to push them too far.
So, back to the question... What do you think of the SL20SH for uptiding and broken ground/fast tide 6-8oz shore fishing? Do they sit well on a rod with either coasters or a fixed seat? Are they suited to 20-25lb line?

Ta for your thoughts folks. :)
The SL20SH is a good reel and the lack of magnetic brakes is no disadvantage for uptiding. The only problem with these reels - especially for people with small hands - is that the gear housing can get in the way when casting as it isn't angled forward as on the Penn 525/535s. Having said that, I used an SL30SH before some toe-rag nicked it and had no problems with it.

Would the SL20SH have enough line capacity? Perhaps the SL30SH might be better suited to the purpose.

Ohter quality reels to consider are the ABUs as recommended above or the Penn 535, which is avilable in both mag and non-mag versions.

I wouldn't recommend using coasters on an uptiding rod as the reel can have a tendency to work loose when any strain is put on it during the retrieve. :uhuh:

Cheers,

John :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts