World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a lovely 2 weeks in Tobago. The main aim was a bit of winter sun for both of us, but also a bit of fishing for me. We stayed at the Coco Reef Hotel, which far exceeded our expectations, the staff were all great and you've got a job to beat the location.
It was my first proper foray into tropical fishing, having only done a little bit on a diving holiday to Cuba about 10 years ago.
I fished the beach at sandy point (behind airport) most mornings for a couple of hours,and again in the evening for an hour or 2,leaving the rest of the day for exploring/chilling/snorkelling.
First morning went down and tried a bit of spinning, not much doing.Managed to get a few baitfish on sabikis,but freelining these didn't produce either.
Next morning went equipped with the heavier rod rigged for floating a livebait , and started fishing the lighter rod with the sabikis and a dexter as weight. On about the third cast something powerful hit the dexter and proceeded to pull about 100m of line off a tight drag before coming adrift.Damn!
That evening I returned and had this curious fish on an Abu koster 029.jpg (a silver moonfish,i think)
Most sessions I had a take of some sort, but didn't managed to land much. I hooked 7 snook in total,but didn't get any of them in,even when I had played them and had them in close they shook the hook.Really disappointed as I've never seen one and fancied a good look at it.Maybe next time.
The snook all took Kosters and Dexters.I tried 3 inch shads but didn't have any luck with these.
After the first couple of days,there were very little bait about and not many diving birds.The locals were struggling to get bait with the cast nets and fishing the sabikis was a waste of time, so I just concentrated on spinning/plugging.
On the whole,I think the morning was better than the evening, although most evenings you would see blitzes, but never closer than about 1 mile out! More to follow.......

·
YOU TALKING TO ME ?
5,553 Posts
Nice report mate.

When i first looked i though 'Diamond Trevally' but looking at the fin and head structure I think you're right mate Silver Moonfish.

Nice to see some more pics if you have them Rock. Nice report matey.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well if this comes up 3 times I wont be surprised but my PC doesn't seem to want to let me reply!!??

Guys this is a Look Down Jack

Mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did you try for a Bone fish or two, where you were fishing is a good spot for them also good for Tarpon.

Just curious as I will be visiting there next year.

If you have any more pics or Info please share.

Cheers Gregor

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,I tried for Bones. There isn't a lot of flat in Tobago.The most accessable spot is friendship, heading out of Crown Point on the Milford road towards scarborough go past pennysavers,then after about 3/4 mile on the right you will see a sign for friendship riding stables,(probably easier to look out for a wrecked blue van that is also at the entrance). If you get to the Magdalana beach resort entrance you have gone too far.Follow this track down and through an old farm.It then turns into a bit of a muddy track,but is ok in a normal car if it hasn't rained too much.Bear right when the track forks and you will see the beach.Park there.
Bit remote so wouldn't recommend going on your own. We didn't have any but saw a few and had one take but unfortunately didn't hook up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts