World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a metal spoon like the traditional toby lure or the like on a flying collar rig?

Not that i have it just seems to me that it should work!!!!:g:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toby is lighter than a weighted shad and in any sort of tide would surely be taken away and horizontally out.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've used plugs on flying collars with reasonable success,and tried one of the Mepps fish bodied spinners,on a slow day I caught 6 out of the 8 pollack landed that day!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give it a try on Carrick Lee next weekend and find out if it works.
As long as you dont catch all the fish on the Friday!!!! :g:

Weather looking superb....................:clap2:

For those that have used plugs, do you shorten the trace compared to a jelly?:g:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tobies may be lighter, but they are much more dense hence they will hang down a lot more than a similarly weighted shad, or a buoyant/neutral plug.

T

·
0 Posts
....A weighted shad has the hook above the body of the lure which is why we rarely hook up to the wreck when using stormies.
Jelly worms hook up more often if you dwell around the bottom for too long.

I would guess that a Toby or a plug would work exceptionally well for Pollack, Cod and Bass on the wrecks, however you must get yourself 4 or 5 turns off the bottom as quick as you can because you will snag if you drag it through.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I like the idea of trying a Toby. Maybe changing the treble fo a single hook, maybe a circle hook might stop it snaging so much.

Alan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Using a circle will still snag the wreck, it will just lip hook it!
I know some of the commercial Bass guys are using circles on pirks and not trebles when they use them with a string of regills to cut down losses.

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts