World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be going to west wales this weekend, i rearlly want to get involved with some salt water flyfishing, i might take my fly rod down with me and have a go off some rocks, just for a laugh! might get some pollock? anyone think its worth it this time of year?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've caught pollack in April on the fly at Caerfai Bay (not exactly the bay but the point on the right),best fly was a 2 inch Clouser on a medium sinker.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
See previous Caerfai post for directions!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
definitely worth a go! my lure fishing mate has had bass, sea trout, pollack and garfish over the past few weeks on small lures. reckoned the fly might even have been better for the gars - they were close in and tended to 'bounce' off the lure.

Rhod.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im definatley gonna have a go, i got an intermediate and a floating line, will try both of them out, my mate said theres quite a few saltwater flies in garry evans, my rod is a good rod but its DEFINATLEY not designed for sea fishing, its called a brook rod, but i'm ok with the casting, think i finally fiquered out how to do it last sunday, i go fly fishing mabey 5 times a year, but nothing ventuered nothing gained!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
definitely worth a go! my lure fishing mate has had bass, sea trout, pollack and garfish over the past few weeks on small lures. reckoned the fly might even have been better for the gars - they were close in and tended to 'bounce' off the lure.

Rhod.
Rhos where are you in the country, I am most interested in what you had to say there

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
im definatley gonna have a go, i got an intermediate and a floating line, will try both of them out, my mate said theres quite a few saltwater flies in garry evans, my rod is a good rod but its DEFINATLEY not designed for sea fishing, its called a brook rod, but i'm ok with the casting, think i finally fiquered out how to do it last sunday, i go fly fishing mabey 5 times a year, but nothing ventuered nothing gained!!

Think you might have a bit of trouble with a brook rod mate you want a 9# atleast, its o.k casting small flies 20 foot in a pond with a small rod but when you get out on the sea and are casting big flies quite a way you need a rod and line with a bit of beef in it:unsure: Especially when you got an onshore wind!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Pikeman pm me with your address and next time I have a saltwater fly tying session I'll send you some.Shop bought saltwater flies are ridiculously expensive even at Garry's!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts