World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to be able to get out fishing this weekend for the first time in ages and fancied (weather permitting) trying for a very early tope off the shore after seeing they had been caught in the IoM. Question is...is it a waste of time this early in the season or is worth a shot?

TBH its more the getting out that is bothering me but a few fish would be great so if its going to be a waste of time I would try somewhere else. If it's too early does anyone have any suggestions for a trip this weekend?!

Also does anyone know if there are still loads of dabs around Balcary/Rascarrel? Wouldn't mind catching a few to try as bait for tope, cheers :D

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goodluck lewis where ever you go mate im off to etive again this weekend
I think I'll probably just go out and give it a go....I'll never know if I don't try! Plus it will be good just to get out again. Best of luck for Etive, hope you hit fish this time mate! Looking forward to your report :fish:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Dabs seem to have departed Balcary recently Lewis, with this hot spell you might be able to catch some common eels for bait, at Creetown.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
good luck with the tope hunting lewis, be sure to post a report coz i had the same intentions this weekend but i now have other plans and it will have to wait till next time .

al

·
Registered
775 Posts
will let you know on monday Lewis, I'm out with ian on sunday!

very possible to put a hook in one in June and then September! if you know the right marks :secret:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lewis i think mid june would be your best chance of a shore tope :)But you never know when they could turn up with the weather being like it has been :sun: good luck an i will look forward to you report:clap2:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably give it a go, nothing to lose and loads of mackeral to use up from last summer! Even if I don't catch its still the nicest part of the country to be in :D Hopefully the weather will go my way or I might have to go...*sigh*....pike fishing :unsure:

Cheers for the advice everyone, best of luck on sunday CC I'll look forward to your report - my uncle is out the week after so it will be good to see whats happening :fish:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'll let you know how we go, its up to the skip, but the pollacking is a good alternative at this time of year shold he feel the tope wont be in yet..

definately nothing wrong with pikeing this weekend or next
!!!!

they've just stopped spawning so will be on the feed big time!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
definately nothing wrong with pikeing this weekend or next
!!!!

they've just stopped spawning so will be on the feed big time!
Hmmm didn't know that, TBH I only started at easter to pass the time when I couldn't be bothered sea fishing as there are a few lochs within a few minutes drive of me. Maybe give it a go this weekend then, I find it dead cushy compared to sea fishing! No tides/swells to contend with and you don't even have to watch the rod! Just slap it on an alarm and relax! So far I've only had jacks, biggest 6lb wouldn't mind connecting with something bigger :fish:

·
Registered
775 Posts
they're very territorial at this time of year - your best chance of a big pike might be using a jack pike livebait.

pike are black widows in that they will eat the bloke after their nuptuals - so that might be worth a try. if i wasnt in luce bay this weekend I'd be piking i think!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Ian

Hows the fishing at the minute:secret:
Another shore Tope and big Bass are my main target this year:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts