World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 old multiplyers, a penn 285+ penn #9, theyre both pretty old reels I bought them 2nd hand anyway.

Problem is I cannot get the drag right, I either get massive birds nests or its so tight im only casting maybe 30 meters.

Ive played around with both drag settings but can't seem to get the good spot, I make It tight then go out slowly from there and there is such a fine line between birdsnest and fine.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Metal spools or not mate?. Either way,its a long lost art controlling the spool speed on a cast with an educated thumb. If it's metal spools then give up,as even the best of casters can't control them. If its plastic spools,then they should be left as free running and controlled by oil and a degree of experience with your thumb doing the braking at the right time. Unless you really want to spend the time learning how to control the reels( I didn't have the option at the time) I would give it a swerve,as there are so many better reels out there that it's not worth the aggro of suffering the burnt thumbs and birdies.

Raider

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Well as the drag has nothing to do with the reels casting ability,I can only imagine that what you are playing with is the end float.Whatever you're doing the fact remains that the 285 is not a casting reel so it is unlikely that you will ever be happy trying to use it as such.As for the number 9 I take it you mean the Penn Peerless No9 with the level wind? If so you will still struggle to get it to even begin to compare with modern day casting reels.Both reels will do an OK job fishing from a pier or for light to medium boat fishing - but definitely not up to par for serious beachcasting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If its a 9M with an alloy spool then you can cast with it, but it'll take practice. Just to clarify when you say 'drag' are you talking about the star wheel on the handle, or the end tension control at the end of the spool spindle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tension controll ive been playing with, i had a fiddle with the star drag but i have no idea.

Both have metal spools.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this a late April fools thread ?.
No i really am that much of a noob with multiplyers.

Took it out today and a guy on the pier helped me set up my boat reel.. lol got it out there alright but do need a real reel.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Divvy we all have to learn and we all make mistakes !! if you don't ask you won't learn.
Do you remember I said to you in your post about boot sales not everything is what it appears !! and it would seem your reels fall into this category.
Your not a knob, you have just got to find your way around these things, experience is the key here, and it comes to us all in time.
If you really don't know much about multipliers the best ones in my opinion are the 6500 Abu's,
Elites and Rockets being my favorites. Buy a CS version IE with level wind, and I am sure you will get on fine.
All the best
Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi

If the metal spools are aluminium you may have success in using rare earth magnets as a cast control.
You will have to do some research online to see how this is done and what is to be considered.
But a high level description of the process is gluing on magnets inside the left hand cover assuming the reels are right handed.
They will be positioned close enough to the spool to allow a magnetic current to be invoked when the spool spins but not too close to interfere with the spools spinning by physically touching any component.Whether this is possible on these reels can be answered by other posters or a google search
If possible it may be an inexpensive way to breath new life into these reels
HTH

·
Registered
538 Posts
Divvy, I've found this info on the 285,

HISTORY: The first 285 "Delmar" reel was equipped with a reinforced plastic spool, which was soon replaced with a metal version. Unlike other reels however, the Delmar was never outfitted with an aluminum spool; Even the 1995 version of this model featured a stainless steel spool.

Theory on magnetic brakes is that they work on any electrcally conductive metal, the problem of using brass or stainless is that it is much heavier than alloy so the spools become flywheels, they take more energy to get spinning and more braking to stop. During the cast they spin up to the speed of the lead flying, then keep pushing line off as the lead slows causing horrible bird's nests.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Penn's are never too old to use. Spares are becoming difficult to obtain for some models.
I am looking for a couple of Delmar 285's for spares. Please PM me if you have any any for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts