World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

After recovering from a major health scare, that screwed up most of last years fishing ambitions, I finally get to spend 2 weeks near Porthleven this summer.

I planned to fly down, but "she who must be obeyed" has decree'd a 10 hour road trip; the logic being that we'd have to pay a fortune in excess baggage if we flew from Edinburgh to Newquay. The bonus is that I can take as much tackle as I think I'll need....................So that means all of it!!!!

I've a few days off work and I've taken the time to go through all the gear and sort out what needs to go and what can stay at home.

The lure box is well stocked and heavy to lug around. Fishing locally, I carry no more than a dozen lures but having never fished in Cornwall before I need to figure out what lures stay in the big box and what lures to carry in the rucksack.

I intend to bring a 15-30g rod

I am open to ideas and suggestions as to what to bring: Hard/Soft lures, spinners, jigs, etc with a 15-30g casting weight.

Maximum of 12:

Thanks in advance.

Phil

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Porthleven is a lovely place, not far from the lizard peninsula so lots of choice of fishing whatever the weather....as for lures? Well of course it depends on where you fish and what you want to catch but if pushed I would say...

Feedshallow mullet
Patchinko 100 I like the lemon back one
Tide minnow 140 or 120 in sardine
Zonk in pearl
Savagear sandeels...10cm in sandeel or white

All bases covered there really.

art of fishing in Falmouth or Newtown angling on the road to Penzance are worth stopping on for local advice...

Enjoy your hols

·
Registered
883 Posts
I would bring some small casting jigs for Pollock/Mackie/garfish and some hrf lures in brown or green for wrasse aswell

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rumpus is about spot on IMHO from my regular trips 'west'. My suggestion would be to take some 4-5" soft plastics so if the bass don't play ball, you can always have some fun with the wrasse. Wrasse will take most bass lures but I like the Standard X Layers in Ayu for wrasse and always have some with me or some Swing Impacts. AoF will have a multitude of other plastics that are probably just as good.

If you really want to get on the bass, call Austen Goldsmith who lives and operates in Porthleven who will give you a day to remember on shore or on his boat.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
For bass mostly sandeel lures like the duo tide minnow in sandeel colours. Xrap in olive or ayu. And a patchinko. for Pollack bashing small white jelly eels always catch.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
All I would add in addition to the lists above...are 'a Gunfish' and 'a Sammy' .....ghost or pearl colours.......(the Sammy could prove it's weight in gold in the Mounts Bay area during a really calm spell)

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you fish Porthleven sands (I did last summer) you should try a Daiwa Shoreline shiner in sardine pattern and also a black n silver komomo

both landed bass for me :punk:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm off at the end of June for a couple of weeks, so that'll give me enough time to stock up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I find it varies a lot through the season. Early on, and in midsummer, the bass often seem to be on small baitfish -- wee sandeels, whitebait, etc. Early summer and autumn I find they are feeding mostly on bigger sandeels.

Regardless of season, I agree with Rumpus on the SavageGear sandeel.

Besides that, I am a cheapskate (I fish a lot of REALLY tight spots, where expensive lures would be madness, and I collect a lot of other folks' lures from the reefs at low tide). So I don't tend to go for the £20 jobbies; and I agree with Viaductbaggies, Wiggle-Stick (blue and silver) is a great sandeel for about £5.

I also like Maria Fakebait NL early in the year; and Angel Kiss (the big size) when the larger food is around. These are my posh lures, round about £13.

And most important of all (to me at least), never leave home without some 20g Tobys and a few seatrout flies (or maybe little mackerel feathers, whatever they call them these days.) If we have another invasion of the whitebait, big lures are a waste of space. A size 4 or 6 fly on a dropper, ahead of a Toby, can be a day-saver.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I am sooooo envious I'm not gonna even tell you:bleh:

I was down on the Lizard a couple of years ago and did well on leadhead jellies for Pollock and wrasse, rapalas worked fine too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts