World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weather permitting i,m hoping to take the boat out after tope on sunday i,ve fished for all the inshore stuff except tope i was hoping there was someone with a bit of advice i read some magazines a while ago but theres always advice to be found on the site (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My advice is if caught watch those teeth m8.
Oxwich is good, as you approach Oxwich fish to the left in front of the rock face. i dont have the GPS to hand but you will know when you are on it m8.
Macky fillet or even a live one will entice a take hook well through mouth and through stomach use some eleastic cotton or a band.
Set clutch well cause they do hit hard.
6/0-10/0 hooks on 250 mono crimped do the job for me but a gain watch those teeth.
Long disgorger i mean about 2 ft long m8.
good fun on 20lb class rod though

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that do you mean up by the wreck?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
no m8 back up and back around towards Port Eynon a little m8 you might find a few charters in there as well

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again,i think i,ve seen them fishing there before, i sometimes fish off the shore on the rocky outcrop there, next to holy wash (pebbly beach) i think it was lady helen i,ve been told the best place to get mackerel is try drifting by the swigg buouy ive got an improvised pump to keep them live and i need to make up a rubby dubby mix and tie it to the anchor?is that right or can i get away with fillets of mackerel ?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You can try Rubby dubby but just palin fillets do the job or even a live one. Crab bait will show some nice hounds there as well m8

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tips you may or may not know

Rubby dubby, use mashed up makerel and sandeel if you can get it, add some pure fishmeal instead of bran cost about £18 for 25kg at local farmers co-op, add some cod liver oil also at farmers co-op £11 for 1 gallon these items are expensive but should last a whole season and well worth the effort.

Traces; I use black&decker strimmer wire (blueish mono type) IMO it's better than heavy mono and knots lovely. Use barbless hooks (common sense)

Bait; I like to use just the head and a little of the body cut at an angle, or if I can get them live joeys. Also any live gurnard, bream, whiting, poorcod, dab that I can catch.

Finaly hit them quick, there is no need to let them run for ages before setting the hook, especially with small baits.

Best of with it, hope you get into them as well as we have.

GB

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the tips ,i just hope i catch one now,tomorrow evening there should be an update one way or the other!i,ve got an onion sack for the rubby dubby even if we catch something to put in that ,it will be better than my last trip out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts