World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
This got me thinking, is there a record for a shore caught tope? This has to be up there as its a magnificent catch. Would be Interesting to know what tackle set up he used.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
This got me thinking, is there a record for a shore caught tope? This has to be up there as its a magnificent catch. Would be Interesting to know what tackle set up he used.
Shore caught is 60lb+ and from what I've read the knap 45lber wa caught while fishing for rays.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welsh shore tope record 77.3lb strumble head pembrokeshire 2018
I cant find the picture of the guy with tope over his lap and rocks but it was massive!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I only asked as I thought 45lb err. But WOW!
Im just curious as to what set up he was using on his reel , what main line and shock leader he was using, then I thought what hooks to nail this beast ect.. but then...,what rod? This is fantastic.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I only asked as I thought 45lb err. But WOW!
Im just curious as to what set up he was using on his reel , what main line and shock leader he was using, then I thought what hooks to nail this beast ect.. but then...,what rod? This is fantastic.
You'd be surprised what your gear can do. A 525 size reel would be plenty to land a 45lb tope and 15lb line say. I landed a tope this year off the shore just under 40lb on a fathom 15 and 15lb line with a tapered leader. The only issue is the rig, he must have been using thick mono or got lucky with a hook hold near the outside of the mouth to avoid being bitten off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts