World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Was wondering whether anyone had ever caught tope near Gilkicker?
Read the article about the Bracklesham Bay monster and thought i would use my stradic beachcaster to lob out a whole mackerel on a 6/0 speculatively....

At the same time i could use my bass rod to use the ragworm and squid i have.

I am pretty much a novice at sea fishing but am attracted by the idea that you just don't know what lies beneath.....and i love fishing.

Anyone with any comment or experience of the area? Ross

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
Remember a 45-50 lb 'er being caught off the kicker years ago !

I think a few anglers used to regularly fish for them with some success !

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
Hi everyone

Read the article about the Bracklesham Bay monster and thought i would use my stradic beachcaster to lob out a whole mackerel on a 6/0 speculatively....

I am pretty much a novice at sea fishing but am attracted by the idea that you just don't know what lies beneath.....and i love fishing.

:) A few bass anglers get bitten off each year. :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Hi everyone

Welcome m8 everythink worth a try as you got to start somewhere.

S

·
0 Posts
hi ross ,welcome to forum
have a good read on tope fishing using the search on wsf or google ,loads of info to be found on tope, total diff ball game mate ,get full info first before targeting them as it will help you ,as I have on all aspects of sea fishing in past and still do now ,we are never to old to learn new tricks and take advice from others all the time in sea angling
all the best ross

·
Registered
210 Posts
Best advice I have been given is to research your species. Concentrate your efforts on the venues that have and do consistently produce your chosen species and then fish it hard. Write down everything i.e. weather, tides heights/times, baits, ranges you fish and then try it at different times.
This will build a picture of your venue and you will start to see patterns emerge. The longer period of time you record the better the overall picture you will gain. The end result should see you be able to fairly reliably predict when and where the fish are likely to turn up and maximise your chances of hooking your chosen species. Of the course final bit is all down to the fish turning up, but you should have stacked

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Best advice I have been given is to research your species. Concentrate your efforts on the venues that have and do consistently produce your chosen species and then fish it hard. Write down everything i.e. weather, tides heights/times, baits, ranges you fish and then try it at different times.
This will build a picture of your venue and you will start to see patterns emerge. The longer period of time you record the better the overall picture you will gain. The end result should see you be able to fairly reliably predict when and where the fish are likely to turn up and maximise your chances of hooking your chosen species. Of the course final bit is all down to the fish turning up, but you should have stacked
Agree with all the above. But given the OP said he was pretty much a novice, then you also need to consider rod (strong), reel (large), mainline (25lb), leader-knot (I use spider-hitch to Yucatan), rig, snood (heavy mono or wire?) and hooks! Sticking a 6/0 on a regular set-up ain't gonna work!

The search function should throw up all the advice you need ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts