World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my intention this weekend was to catch a tope!so i did all the things i should have done, i asked advice from the site and got some marvelous tips and some places to fish,asked in the tackle shops where was working ,and had all the correct gear!anyway i didnt get one,but!we went into the bay and stocked up with mackerel for bait/rubby dubby it was like fish soup! 5 a time every drop,we then moved to the mixon shoal, made the rubby dubby tied it to the anchor and used flapper bait ,only dogfish, we stuck it out for about an hour and a half and gave up .we then moved to a favourite bream spot refilled the rubby dubby bag and dropped down again, nothing much up to top tide apart from two goldfish sized pouting,the as the tide started to turn lots of little bites, those little bites then turned into big bites ,i kept the rod in my hand and struck at every bite (something i very rarely do) and a bream every time ,we had about 15 by the time they got bigger and the net came out and i had a huge bite, i had lost my hook about 3 casts previous and changed down to a size 4 and on it was my biggest bream of the year ,it then shook so much i lost it by the side of the boat in the melee that followed my net fell off the roof and my mate hooked into something huge on his mr whippy rod ,as he pulled it up it turns out he had a double hook up of 2 bream of 2 1/2 pound which i had to ease over the side. by the end of the session we had caught nearly 30 bream of which only six were kept,all the rest live to be caught another day. the ironic thing is its usually me who goes when the fishing goes slack but today it was the turn of the charters and the big boats,just thought you'd like to know.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi Dog
Sorry to hear you did not get your topr m8, but you were obviously sihing Crab Island at Langland. Some really nice bream to 4 lb have been caught here m8.All good fun on light gear.
For the Tope you will need about a 11m+ tide and fish as i said to the left of Oxwich looking in, at least you done the charters anyway m8

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i caught the bream about a mile off the cave at right of caswell i didnt have time to make it round to oxwich this time but i will before the summer is out ,and also i've never tried crab island for bream i've fished close to there but not on it ,my mate was fishing there last summer and caught a double figure bass with live mackerel!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nice bass m8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts