World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all anglers

I have just been invited on a boat fishing trip out of Aberestwyth, fishing for tope.

I would like to know if any of you have any tips or tricks, for fishing within Cardigan Bay for catching the big tope.

I have heard stories of tope being caught upto 80lb last year in this area, and would like to know what I can do to increase my chances of getting one over 50lb.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Tightlines to all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,886 Posts
Hi mate,

This time of year there are still 8oz whiting about. Use one of them for bait, or a half dab if you catch one. The mackerel don't seem to be about in numbers quite yet, judging from conversations with Tywyn boatmen I talked to this evening. So think of what the tope are currently looking for as nosh - they are highly-tuned fish after all!

Cheers - John

EDIT: realised I don't know when you are going to Aber! If it's later on. use big mackerel baits on a running leger with a 150lb mono hooklength. Make 'em too big for doggers to mess up - a tope can engulf a whole bass let alone a macky! Effective bait = tail section minus tail fins 4-5" long, with hook through tail root. Make sure you have the boat equivalent of a beach fisher's shockleader on. They can and do roll up the line and their skin is rough enough to chop straight through 20lb mainline! So put a decent length of 40-50lb on above your trace!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
sonic said:
Calling all anglers

I have just been invited on a boat fishing trip out of Aberestwyth, fishing for tope.

I would like to know if any of you have any tips or tricks, for fishing within Cardigan Bay for catching the big tope.

I have heard stories of tope being caught upto 80lb last year in this area, and would like to know what I can do to increase my chances of getting one over 50lb.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Tightlines to all
hi there ,i fish for tope from aber every year and have found downtideing with a flapper good some years and other times head with guts the best .but strangely anough last season they were taking the small baits on our bait rods! the rigs the skippers have are fine but take a sharpening stone with as they tend to be a bit blunt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the reply

I will be fishing at Aber on Sunday 19th June
the tackle I would normally use is a 9/6 uptide rod, penn 525 reel loaded with 18/20lb mono with 20ft of 40lb rubbing trace then a zip slide with 2/6oz weight depending on the tide then put on 4ft 200lb mono hook length to 6/0 aberdeen hook

Bait usually used anything from small pore cod /whiteing to fresh chunks or flappers of mackerel

If any one has any variations on this it would be very much appreciated as I would really like to catch one over 50lb

I know what you mean about catching them on small baits, we had several last year, whilst fishing for black bream using squid strip, but we also had the problem, that when we used large baits for tope, we were inundated with bull huss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,886 Posts
sonic said:
cheers for the reply

I will be fishing at Aber on Sunday 19th June
the tackle I would normally use is a 9/6 uptide rod, penn 525 reel loaded with 18/20lb mono with 20ft of 40lb rubbing trace then a zip slide with 2/6oz weight depending on the tide then put on 4ft 200lb mono hook length to 6/0 aberdeen hook

Bait usually used anything from small pore cod /whiteing to fresh chunks or flappers of mackerel

If any one has any variations on this it would be very much appreciated as I would really like to catch one over 50lb

I know what you mean about catching them on small baits, we had several last year, whilst fishing for black bream using squid strip, but we also had the problem, that when we used large baits for tope, we were inundated with bull huss.
This is a disaster waiting to happen for me as when breaming I use a toothpick spinning rod & fixed-spool. Only hope being, if it happens, that the tope will bite the 20lb clear Amnesia straight through!

Cheers - John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
John Mason said:
This is a disaster waiting to happen for me as when breaming I use a toothpick spinning rod & fixed-spool. Only hope being, if it happens, that the tope will bite the 20lb clear Amnesia straight through!

Cheers - John
you have know worrys there ,last trip out (last year) i had about 15 takes on shrimp bait rigs(25lb mono)snaped clean off .but a mate maniged to land a tope of 14lb on same rig and very light weight spinning tackle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
sonic said:
cheers for the reply

I will be fishing at Aber on Sunday 19th June
the tackle I would normally use is a 9/6 uptide rod, penn 525 reel loaded with 18/20lb mono with 20ft of 40lb rubbing trace then a zip slide with 2/6oz weight depending on the tide then put on 4ft 200lb mono hook length to 6/0 aberdeen hook

Bait usually used anything from small pore cod /whiteing to fresh chunks or flappers of mackerel

If any one has any variations on this it would be very much appreciated as I would really like to catch one over 50lb

I know what you mean about catching them on small baits, we had several last year, whilst fishing for black bream using squid strip, but we also had the problem, that when we used large baits for tope, we were inundated with bull huss.
hi there, whats the name of the boat your going out on?.and as for bait if you catch any small joey mackerel live (wow what a hard take)great sport .and for the bream fresh cockles are amasing from the reef your fishing(on19th)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Fished out of Pwllheli on Tuesday, which is not a million miles from the Aber tope grounds, Plenty of Mackies and some very good Tope (14) to 46lb, same again lost unfortunately, Mainly under the boat so long shock leaders advised. Bait used was full mackerel with tails cut off on 10/0 hooks (don't be shy !) to 150lb 4' hook lengths.

If you get the weather you will bag up, but still well worth chopping up 20 or so mackies for groundbait to be on the safe side, draw them in, we did and were getting takes after 15mins constantly for the next 3 hours !

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I have fished Aber every year for many years mainly with Dave Taylor aboard Alderbaren. If you really want to target the bigger Tope then try to get to the back of the boat and use a live joey or small livebait such as whiting or poor cod.

I always head for the stern and my personal method is to use strimmer wire/mono for hook lenght and rubber with a 2-4 oz drilled bullet on top of the rubber and a lighter 1/2 - 1 oz drilled bullet above the hooklength. Use as light a lead as you can get away with to trot the bait slowly down the tide. This usually sorts out the better fish and you can keep the bait just off the bottom away from the dreded huss.

What boat are you going on?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top