World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had trip with ian burret booked for today , so myself ,my brother an davy(conger conger ) decided to make the most of it an have a go for tope an smoothies on sat morn , an early start was called for (3 am) :cc_surren
after an uneventfull drive well except for the exploding wood pigeon that decided it was going to just stand in the middle of the road , we arrived at our mark , about 5.30 got the gear out an sorted an then i left my two apprentices to get in about the mackeral , i had a date with diggin some lugworm for a go at the bass later in the day , i passed snatcher an tack4 plugging away on one of his bass marks , but as the tide was nearing low water i passed on the chat as i was meeting up with snatcher later :drunk:
diggin was quite hard , but eventually got enought for a good session for us , got a phone call from the lads they were into mackeral really heavy with enough for a rubby dubby this morning and later in the evening already caught in just over an hours fishing :clap3:
i popped along to see norrie , peterthefisherman, an bmac launching from port logan ,lewiss also came over to say hi!! norrie really had his heart set on getting a tope ,but alas the weather was not playing ball, (keep at it auld yin) met up with the other geordie lads who would be fishing with us an headed back to the apprentices , they already had the tope gear out , so i set up a rod for a go at garfish , 13ft match rod with 3lb line , had a nice bag of groundbait ready an mixed in a few fresh mackeral , i was only fishing for a couple mins when i had my first fish a small pollck of about half a pound , you would have though it was a monster the way it had the rod bucking :clap2:really good sport on this gear !! had about 15-16 pollock to 1.2lb on this gear over about an hour and a half giggling like a big jessie i was ! but alas the gars did,nt want to play:yucky:
we had started to get a few enquiries on the heavy gear with a few dogs coming in davy by this time was still living up to the nickname (crackoff) with a few lead sailing way over the horizon , but not attached to his main line !!(sorry mate had to get that one in:whistling) davy then had a crackin run definate tope but it dropped the bait :g: ,but it came back for another go , this time it had a real go an tore off , quick count an he wound into it ,an hit it TOPE ON!!:clap2:this fish decided it was gonna go for a stroll, well a run about the bay, crackin fight , an well angled i might add davy had the fish on the surface , there were a couple of guys fishing down a bit from us who were rather surprised to see this dorsal fin an tail careering about in front of them, gordon had the leader , while i was looking for the camera, .......no camera!! so photos were taken by camera phone , davy will post them tonight or tomorrow fish was quickly weighed , nice male fish of 22lb , an quickly put back , an off he went with great gusto!!:clap2:
next rod to go was gordon another screamer of a run wound into the fish ,fish on ......bang the fish was away the line had parted !!!:yucky:
again we had a sucsession of the ever eager lsd jumping on the mackeral bait any chance they could get when gordons rod screamed off again , this time the fish dropped the bait , but never came back for second helpings
we decide to go over to port logan an see norrie an co. coming back in off the boat ,had a wee chin wag , then head back to the van for our dinner .
about 9 pm we set off to our night mark . another nice rubby dubby of mackeral was thrown out on a rope an we settled down for a session , usuall suspects were first on the scene lsd , followed by lsd , then lsd ,and yet another lsd , so i changed onto peeler for the chance of a smoothie or bass, an you know what followed ...lsd, lsd ,lsd even two at a time on the one pennel rig!!, i had had enough had been a long day , so went back to the pub an joined ian burret, big les an co for a night cap , told the apprentices they had to stay an get a tope or a smoothie , but they joined me a couple of hours later , all dogged out !!lost count of them!! the strangest thing of the night was snatcher had went home to bed early so never got a pint with him!! but all in a good session , good to meet a few new faces from the forum, davy will do the boat report tomorrow !!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice report Guy, Good to meet you and Conger Conger for a chat as it was just a quick hello when we met up at Lochaline for the boat meet with Davy :) I hope you had a good day today and managed to get a few of our hard fighting friends !! I look forward to your report tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Excellent report, and well done to Davy: excellent fish mate. Will have to have a go for them off the shore sometime soon :fish:

Was good to meet you all too :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
nice one guy thought i saw someone diggin on the shore crackin report

hope to have a different kinda report next weekend as away to NI for a weekend on the fly at straid fishery near larne

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Great report as usual Guy :)

Well done on the Tope Davy:clap2::clap3::notworthy

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well done chaps, seems there are a few around. Went shore fishing with my mate Mikey Kyle down the south west on Sunday. He managed a small thornie, a flounder, and 2 tope. One was just a pup, but the second one dragged him all about the place; took 100 yards on it's first run.

After 15-20 minutes of madness i finally managed to get a hold of it at the waters edge - wieghed an ounch under 31lbs... and i didn't forget the camera ;) Was well pleased for him!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great report Guy:clap3: the Tope seem to be hanging around this year hope there is a few about at the end of the month:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well done chaps, seems there are a few around. Went shore fishing with my mate Mikey Kyle down the south west on Sunday. He managed a small thornie, a flounder, and 2 tope. One was just a pup, but the second one dragged him all about the place; took 100 yards on it's first run.

After 15-20 minutes of madness i finally managed to get a hold of it at the waters edge - wieghed an ounch under 31lbs... and i didn't forget the camera ;) Was well pleased for him!
I seen it back at the weigh in mate, the lad was distraught about it dying though wasn't he:sad2:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Fished the same mark again yesteday, only managed pollack and this bonus conger which picked up a tope bait at distance.

Very welcome - and a good scrap on lightish gear.

Belting day - even managed to get some quality sunburn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well there you are conger man ! :clap2:thought you had gone an left us there:bleh::bleh: aye nice day you had there weather wise an good to see your still able to work them rods of yours, pity i could,nt join you but otherwise occupied , but still only just over a week to go till the next outing :boat::boat::clap2:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nice Conger Conger Conger :) ;)

Well done Davy .
Thanks Lenny - I've been going through a bit of a lean spell since christmas - think my rods had caught some kinda jedi virus or something like that :giveup::giveup:

Good to be getting bank in amungst some decent shore fish again.

How are things with you?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice fish m8 :clap3::clap3: This was my Tope i had with Ian on Sunday :)

Attachments

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Thanks Lenny - I've been going through a bit of a lean spell since christmas - think my rods had caught some kinda jedi virus or something like that :giveup::giveup:

Good to be getting bank in amungst some decent shore fish again.

How are things with you?
Not bad Davy :)

Had a few species last time home so lookin a bit more healthy:clap2:
still tae get a decent fish on the new rod but hope tae change that when i get home m8.Aff for a month this time :clap2::clap2:so plenty fishing lined up .Only a week tae go:clap3:

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
some great pictures there cant wait to have a sesh for tope hoping to crack a double figure tho

that conger crikey!!!! no shoe lace
great pics all round

1 - 20 of 25 Posts