World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the clocks have gone back and work gets in the way of dawn and dusk, and obviously the whole day!!

Would I be right to say that I should have just as much chance or even more chance to catch when its dark? As I get home at around 7pm each day, by this time its completely dark.

My question is, how do top water lures perform in the dark? I much prefer to use top water lures instead of the black minnows, I seem to do a lot better with them and they also do not cost me as much as they never get snagged!! I've heard a lot about using soft plastics in the dark, mainly white senkos.

I know people may reply, 'get out there and try it yourself' and I will but its nice to hear what everyone else in this community has to say. :)

I just want to get in a few more bass whilst I can before they bugger off.

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
886 Posts
What works in one area won't always work in another. It's part of learning the mark.
For me I tend to find that as it cools down top water lures fall out of favour in a lot of the places I fish and fishing soft plastics on the bottom are more successful. But like I said each area has fishes differently

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Depth of water and clarity water temperature, will also have a relevance. If it's shallow with good visibility they may be more tempted off the bottom for a top water. As the water temperatures cool their activity levels drop as well, if they are grubbing about on the bottom they will be less likely to be raised by a surface lure.
And as we all know there's an exception to every rule lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to be quite detailed with my post, but it would be the Same location I always go to, the water clarity would be clear and the sea would be flat!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree, and with the drop in temperature I don't think fish are gonna wanna exert too much energy to catch their feed. So top water lures in shallowish water, reeled dead slow, or with pauses...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ima Sasuke and also Komomo do a SUSPEND version. The different sizes reel down to differing depths. I personally love the rolling action of the Sasuke suspend 120. The one in my avatar.

Funny enough there's a real shortage of this lure at the mo in the uk. In the Bora mullet colour as photographed. But good ole Amazon Japan - I've got a good few on their way to me

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Reactions: Ben South

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
Yes topwaters work in the dark and the bonus is the gulls are all in bed lol
Before it cools down too much I would carry on using your lures that you know work in daylight.

As it gets colder the shallow venues will get colder first so the bass will bug out to deeper water
so you might need to find some deeper venues if your planning on winter passing with lures

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Any recommendations on a shallow diver?
There's loads to try, really. The Tackle House Feed Shallow is good, IMAs Komomos, Daiwa Shore Line Shiner.

To me a lot of the visual side of top water lures is taken away at night, so unless you're fishing ultra shallow ground, or trying to avoid collecting too much weed, I don't see that it has much advantage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's loads to try, really. The Tackle House Feed Shallow is good, IMAs Komomos, Daiwa Shore Line Shiner.

To me a lot of the visual side of top water lures is taken away at night, so unless you're fishing ultra shallow ground, or trying to avoid collecting too much weed, I don't see that it has much advantage.
Nice one, ive just bought myself a Tackle House Feed Shallow 128! :) Nice one

·
Registered
734 Posts
At night i have found tw lures are at there best if the sea is flat calm, apart from the odd twitch all i do is wind them in nice and steady but i have caught way more using senko type lures and with them being weedless it does not mater where you chuck them, tw lures with all those hooks get stuck on exposed kelp heads and rocks that are proud of the surface where as weedless lures can be hopped over them, they also seems to sit just subsurface or can be waked depending on retrieve speed so you get different presentations without having to change lure

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another thumbs up for the feed shallow in mullet, had two 50cm plus yesterday in my lunch hour. Should continue to work well as the temperature drops, since the lure performs well with a slow to medium retrieve.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts