World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any gar in winter (especially December) in the Torbay area? If so any advice on location, depth fished and baits would be welcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rock Goby,

I do a little research on the biology of Gar and their relatives. I'll be in Totnes (my old home town) in December and am keen to get a few if they are around. This is purely for recreational purposes. I just love the things.

We get Gar out here but call them Longtom. We have a family of fish known elsewhere in the world as Halfbeaks, which Aussie's call Gar (confusing) and Kiwis call Piper!

Any ideas about spots or techniques for winter Gar?

Cheers, Tibbetts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hello Tibetts,
Can't say i know of any winter venues for Gar over here as they seem to be a summer upper water species.
Having said this,Mackerel are the same and I do know a place where you can catch these all year round so I guess a Gar might also possible.
Try inside Brixham harbour,specifically in the fish quay area where the trawlers land their catch.Although fishing is not technically allowed here,if you find a quiet corner you can usually get away with a few hours before the Habour master tells you to b****r off.Try float fished strip at about 10 foot and watch out for boats!
Cheers Goby.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Goby,

Many thanks for the advice. I had read in the literature that they were summer fish but hoped some might linger longer in the fair southwest. I'll give the mackerel a go though, harbor masters notwithstanding. Float and flesh it be.

Cheers, Ian :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try Berry Head quarry.As far towards the end as you can get,even better if you can climb the last bit onto `The Ledge`.I have had loads of them in november before,so they will still be there then.Float fished mackerel strip no deeper than 15ft,even as shallow as 6".Most of them are small that time of the year with any over a pound being good fish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Eel Hunter,

Many thanks for the advice. Hopefully the small gar will be around at BH. I will give it a go (maybe the parking will be cheaper in winter?!). I can swing by after chasing some of the Mack in the harbour. Did you mean a min of 6 inches or 6 feet?

I guess if mack and gar around, mullet and bass can't be far off. Wishfull thinking I know.

All the best, Ian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea I meant 6 inches,they will take a bait which is actually floating on the surface.To get them at this time of the year it helps if the sea has been relatively calm.If the wind has been easterly it is not worth it.The sea gets too coloured and they just aren`t there.
The parking is cheaper in the winter,free though if you park in the road just up from the hotel and walk through the woods.
Mullet are definately still around then,there were a few good ones caught last year,maybe bass aswell if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know its the other side of the county, but a couple of christmas's ago i got a new spinner and couldnt resist giving it a try off of Mt Batten breakwater in plymouth - just to see how it fished etc. this was early january and at about 5pm (so it was dark!) and i hooked a lovely gar - about 18inches long - didnt land it though, it fell off half way up the side of the wall! anyone else caught one by spinning that time of year?

I agree that mackerel can be caught year round - december last year fishing from beesands for whiting i caught three amckerel and a handful of scad on lug hard on the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SeaUrchin,

It is good to know that winter fishing can have its rewards. As a kid growing up in the southwest I used to assume that cod provided the only winter action and that happened somewhere up north. In October I'd put the rods away and spend the following months reading about fishing, mending rods and tidying the tackle box.

Either things have changed I was labouring under a huge and sad misconception. Any opinions as which is true?

I guess the fishing might be slower given the low water temperatures, but the prospect of action gives me hope. I wonder what other "summer" fish might be caught if one gets the location, timing, bait and gear right? Bream?

Fishing for mackerel and gar, with the chance of bass and mullet sounds like an excellent prospect. Spinning at least might keep me warm!

Many thanks to my advisors.

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
346 Posts
you could certainly catch bream from the shore mate yeah, more so in the esturies of cornwall. giltheads show quite regularly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts