World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for something that would fit the bill - a couple of guys I know dont bother with tip lights any more

they have both built attachments they have fitted to their tripods which direct a torch beam on both rods - job

done - I am not technically gifted and was wondering if there was anything out there on the market?

Any thoughts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Have seen them fitted with bike tyre inner tube on a Ian golds match tripod,they where square lights like on a bicycle and placed on the main triangle leg

G

·

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I have tried the torch on tripod, and tbh didnt rate it, I found that the beam shon up and along the rod, and not from the side and accordingly did not illuminate it very well at all.
I then tried fitting a bar across the tripod and mounting the torch on the end, a bit better, but still not much good.
I then made the cross bar stick out about a foot to one side of the tripod, and put the torch on the end, it was almost ok there, but I found that I just could not be bothered with it,it was always in the way, so now when I am not using my Coleman, I just use glow sticks taped on the tip,cheaper than paying for batteries, and less fuss than having to recharge batteries, and weighs less than another torch.
Anyway, with reflective tape on the tip, if you are wearing a headlamp it is automatically lit everytime you look at the rod tip,headlamp off, the glowstick works as well, why light up something that you are not looking
at ?

Just my take on it, whatever suits you though.

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agree absolutely with Tatch and Barbel Dave, I've been experimenting with tripod-mounted lights this season, and have come to the conclusion that the light needs to be quite a long way away from the tripod to illuminate the tips properly, even with Mightybrite, and I prefer being in the dark when I'm fishing anyway (wish some of the people I sometimes share the beach with felt the same!-I hate fishing next to what seems like a search and rescue floodlight that scans all around the beach). Rant over,but how about a thread on The Therapeutic Qualities of Fishing in Total Darkness?

·
Premium Member
15,776 Posts
My one doesn't light up the tip tape, it reflects off the rod eyes it works perfectly, I'd never use anything else.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm on it !! Will get one designed and get back to you !!
I would be interested, been looking to find a neat solution to how to shine a torch on the tip tape without the glaring beam annoying me, was thinking of a cone shaped collar for the end of the torch to stop light spill but light spreads enough to light up both tips

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Agree absolutely with Tatch and Barbel Dave, I've been experimenting with tripod-mounted lights this season, and have come to the conclusion that the light needs to be quite a long way away from the tripod to illuminate the tips properly, even with Mightybrite, and I prefer being in the dark when I'm fishing anyway (wish some of the people I sometimes share the beach with felt the same!-I hate fishing next to what seems like a search and rescue floodlight that scans all around the beach). Rant over,but how about a thread on The Therapeutic Qualities of Fishing in Total Darkness?
Well said i was on Whitby pier last week & the amount of super bright lights flashing about like they're on a laser show was unbelievable dazzling everyone one lad i fish with even stands there head light on rod even though its got a light glowing away on the end another has a samalite thats even worse lights everything up for miles around.i don't half give them some stick over it comfort lights i call them i switch mine on for baiting up & thats it tried isotopes were rubbish so now its back to chemical lights no need for torches only for baiting up i thought the fish came in closer at night because of the lack of light so whats the point trying to turn night into day surely its putting the fish off all this light

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I were fishing in close for Bass I just use a red head lamp for rebaiting - period. When I am on a beach and have put two baits out a hundred yards or so its nice to be able to see the whole rod lit up rather than try and focus on two little
Green flourescent tips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts