World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for any opinions (from people that have actually used them) on touch screen chart plotters and fish finders.

Looking at garmin echo map or lowrance touch screen units.

I am slightly concerned with how the touch screens work when exposed to damp conditions, wet fishy fingers ect. This will be on a warrior so mounted in a cuddy rather than a cabin, so exposed to the conditions a bit more.

Anyone used one?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have used an iPad with xMap software and Navionics cartography as a touch screen plotter. I did this as an experiment because my Lowrance has a 5" screen and I was considering an upgrade to a touch screen unit. I did not like it as the motion of the boat made using a touch screen very difficult and not through any deficiency in the software. This was in an enclosed wheelhouse. In an open cockpit exposed to rain and/or spray I think it would be even worse. I have upgraded to a unit with push buttons, not a touch screen.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I will never go back to non-touchscreen. Touch screen mfd's are made for marine environments where ipads are not, so not comparable like for like.
Touch screens are 10x faster to use, with touch and buttons and fast processors.
I will happily recommend lowrance touch screen units.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I use a Raymarine E120 and Lowrance HDS9 both of which are touch screen. I love the displays and features but hate the touch screen. They mark easily, don't respond to wet/cold fingers and are a bitch to keep clean. Give me nice positive chunky buttons anytime.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I have both. Buttons are much more fiddly to pan, zoom and scroll but are positive and no chance of slipping or pressing the wrong thing when operating under way or in a chop. Touch screen is a right pain - lovely to use in the marina but once under way it is very difficult to use, I am always accidentally touching the wrong part of the screeen. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I`ve been using a Garmin 5012 12" touch screen for the last 4 years and haven`t had any problems. On my boat then the unit is exposed to all weather and spray as where it`s mounted it`s exposed to all conditions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Lowrance HDS Gen 3 is touchscreen but can also be controlled by buttons if/when needed. I have both a HDS 9 Gen 3 & 2 mounted in my warrior 175 and have no hesitation in recommending them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts