World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished by the QE2 bridge yesterday. Arrived about 8.30 with Jay(Ravet) and his youngest son Lenny hoping to catch an early bass and failing that a few mudrats. Fishing was hard, to say the least, I caught a couple of flounders, whilst Jay half fished and half tried to keep his boy entertained. About 11, and after some pressure from Lenny, Jay packed up and went home whilst I, against my better judgement and with nothing better to do decided to stay on. I spent the next hour wondering why i'd bothered to stay on when all of a sudden I got a good knock on my rod and reeled in.....yep, you guessed it another flounder! I rebaited and cast back out with renewed hope and waited.......and waited.....and waited.. when I got another small knock and reeled in that rare species, the pinting. At about half 2 Jay returned with his oldest son, Kean, and we relocated to the freshly flooded bay to our left, hoping to catch a few more mudrats. We basically just endured 2 hours of nothingness before calling it a day at around half 4. I tried everything from changing rigs to changing baits and even hook sizes but nothing seemed to work. We had rag and some bluey and squid but nothing did the trick......it was a big tide though and it was ripping through when we fished by the bridge so that probably didn't help. Nice to get out and good company all the same though and great to meet both of Jay's sons too!
Next time....there's always next time.....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Was gonna give the bridge a try the other day but went to Rainham instead with Zzippylol and met Bluestevefish.Had some nice fish out there last summer so will definitely try and get over there in the coming weeks.Nice try Ben,you'll never know if ya dont go as they say.

·
Registered
21,354 Posts
After 50 years I still don't know where to go Ben so don't beat yourself up!

Ps. I'm lying really.......I always catch loads of lunkers.

On a slightly more serious note, the bass seem very nomadic and often you may only get an hour when they're in front of you. It is still only April.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was still better to be out there when the fishing's hard than to be stuck in the flat twiddling my thumbs. You win some you lose some and it seems everybody was finding the river tough on Saturday anyway, so at least it wasn't just me! lol
Gave it another bash today with pretty awful results, although I did nick a tiny bass but nothing to write home about. Hopefully the fishing will pick up a bit soon, but as you say - it is only April.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts