World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps, long time no speak. Though it wasn't rod caught, I thought you might like a butcher's at this monster bream, Diplodus Sargus Sargus, known locally as Sargo. It weighed in at 6,2kg and was caught by spearfisherman Gerardo Martínez in 18mts of water after bolting out of a cliff face crevasse near the lighthouse at Punta Candieira near Cedeira (my wife's hometown) in Galicia, North West Spain. Strangely for Spain, where most fish end up on the dining table, Gerardo has donated it to local government marine biologists for study. Culinarily quite superior to bass in my opinion. What a specimen!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

this really is a huge sargo ... i didn't even know they could get that big!
They are indeed very good eating, but i wonder about such a specimen ... from my experience with giltheads, the smaller ones (1kg-2kg) are much tastier! :)

Gert

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another piccie of the monster. Gert, I agree with you regarding giltheads, the 2kg specimens are fab though most supermarket giltheads here are farmed, so entirely different. I had a brace of 2kg gilts a couple of years ago. When I got them home and opened them up they were full of broken mussel shells. The Galician estuaries are major mussel cultivation areas. They must have a right old feast on the buggers!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts