World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another towing thread, but iv recently got rid of my merc ml320 as i was only getting 16mpg. The wife talked me in to buying a vectra sri which im gettig a towbar fitted, im after a cheap 4x4 just to do the donkey work on the beach.Anyone got any comments on the frontera 2.2 dti, iv never been a lover of the frontera but iv seen one at a good price and woundered if they are any good. The boat it will be towing is a warrior 150,Thanx Barry

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sorry for another towing thread, but iv recently got rid of my merc ml320 as i was only getting 16mpg. The wife talked me in to buying a vectra sri which im gettig a towbar fitted, im after a cheap 4x4 just to do the donkey work on the beach.Anyone got any comments on the frontera 2.2 dti, iv never been a lover of the frontera but iv seen one at a good price and woundered if they are any good. The boat it will be towing is a warrior 150,Thanx Barry
I dont know this car that well Barry, but found this review;- http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cars/vauxhall-frontera-estate-limited-2-2dti-16v-5-door/1026522/

If the price is very good and you are happy with the overall package make an offer and don't feel bad about offering very low starting price. The sales of 4x4's are slowing down due to high fuel costs as well as tax issues for new. Get yourself a bargain!

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
330 Posts
From discussions i have read before i think you are best going for a landy or a vitara. If it is just for donkey work, why not buy a defender. Proven work horses and you will get hald decent one for less than £2k

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi,
Lookoing at your pics I see you have or had a Shogun? What is or was wrong with that?
IMHO there is no such animal as a cheap 4x4. But there are some that are cheaper and that are better than others.

Things I would consider baring in mind are the cost of spare parts, things like discs and pads are cheap as chips for Landy and Disco but certain Discos have a rep for gearbox failure (expensive).

I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 last year for the purpose of towing the boat. So far I have put on a new radiator but I knew that when I got it £120 and new alternator belt (easy with rad out) £15.
The previous owner had obviously driven into the sea recovering boats so rear discs pads and shoes needed replacement approx £250. Inc fronts that I thought should be done.
Seems expensive for a third vehicle but total investment stands less than a grand. 4litre 4x4 with leather aircon, electric every thing, etc.Pull a house down.

Best bit??????????/ £185 for road tax. I think older 4x4 may actually appereciate if the govmnt continue playing with retro taxation however much they protest that it isn't.

Towing I get just under 20 mpg.So your ML 320 was a bit thirsty.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
might be flogging my disco next month - 200Tdi, as I don't need a tow vehicle anymore, 30-32mpg, cheap tax (comparatively with newer ones), it'd had a recon engine & box just before I bought it 2 years back, in the last 12 months, I've renewed disks & pads all round, wheel bearings all round, full clutch (including that pesky release fork and bearing), starter, alternator, half the exhaust, swivel pin bearings on one side, and probably a few other bits n bobs!. its being serviced and mot'd this week, take a grand for it

few scabs around the doors where the aluminium has blistered the paint, but the chassis is 100% (waxoyled when new and again when I bought it), and it starts and runs like a swiss watch and pulls like a train!

that said there's quite a few early disco's around for not much money, spares are cheap, economy is better than most 4x4's, and they are hard to fault as a general workhorse. get a late 200tdi rather than a 300, bit more economical, and they are happy running a 50:50 mix veg oil and deisel with no adjustments whatsoever!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed a tow vehicle

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
hi there have a look for a grand vitarta

towing we get 35+ per gallon
and without towing we get between 45 to 50 mpg

we look after ours regardless of cost but i will say that we havent had any problems as yet and ours has covered about 84000 miles and we have had it for 55 k and we have just had it serviced and been told we will need pads next service

ETEC

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hi there have a look for a grand vitarta

towing we get 35+ per gallon
and without towing we get between 45 to 50 mpg

we look after ours regardless of cost but i will say that we havent had any problems as yet and ours has covered about 84000 miles and we have had it for 55 k and we have just had it serviced and been told we will need pads next service

ETEC

What is the outfit you are towing ETEC? Thats an impressive mpg. Worth thinking about one of them I would say.

·
Registered
420 Posts
having owned two fronteras and towed with both i would say forget it, i have had the diesel and the petrol both around 1999 to 2000 so not that old not bad for general driving but found bad for towing and what i was towing was lighter than the average 16ft boat

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
What is the outfit you are towing ETEC? Thats an impressive mpg. Worth thinking about one of them I would say.
I have a vitara 2.0TD 55 plate and tow a warrior 165. I get 25mpg towing and 35-37mpg nt towin. What engine do you have?

Getting back on topic it's greatfor pulling the boat and was in use recovering on soft sand at the weekend

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
Lookoing at your pics I see you have or had a Shogun? What is or was wrong with that?
IMHO there is no such animal as a cheap 4x4. But there are some that are cheaper and that are better than others.

Things I would consider baring in mind are the cost of spare parts, things like discs and pads are cheap as chips for Landy and Disco but certain Discos have a rep for gearbox failure (expensive).

I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 last year for the purpose of towing the boat. So far I have put on a new radiator but I knew that when I got it £120 and new alternator belt (easy with rad out) £15.
The previous owner had obviously driven into the sea recovering boats so rear discs pads and shoes needed replacement approx £250. Inc fronts that I thought should be done.
Seems expensive for a third vehicle but total investment stands less than a grand. 4litre 4x4 with leather aircon, electric every thing, etc.Pull a house down.

Best bit??????????/ £185 for road tax. I think older 4x4 may actually appereciate if the govmnt continue playing with retro taxation however much they protest that it isn't.

Towing I get just under 20 mpg.So your ML 320 was a bit thirsty.
To be honest i had it remapped a while back and ever since then it just drunk the juice, big mistake i think.At first it wasnt to bad all the extra power but then i began to think they had drilled a big bloody hole in the tank.Over the years iv had fourtracks, disco td5, shogan,merc ml, but they were all the main vehicle, what im after now is something that i will leave up the caravan just for pulling the boat about. I understand there is no such thing as a cheap 4x4, its just something that im not going to worry about jumping in with my chesties on soaking wet and if need be going into the drink after the boat if i have to. Iv been looking on the auto trader web site and its the millage thats putting me off a lot of the 4x4 most have done more miles than the starship enterprise.lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you never listen to any other advice again please dont by the frontera :hammer:they are cr!£ you would be better of going for an old disco so long as it runs on derv not petrol They are great on soft sand and shingle and pull like trains..... :clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have a vitara 2.0TD 55 plate and tow a warrior 165. I get 25mpg towing and 35-37mpg nt towin. What engine do you have?

Getting back on topic it's greatfor pulling the boat and was in use recovering on soft sand at the weekend
Emm lol a Tohatsu......I think you replied to the wrong post Ticketty? I was asking what outfit ETEC towed that he got 35mpg in his Suzuki.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
barry i also think that the four trak is a good motor for what you need.good on fuel and will pull a house down,will pull 3.5 ton. still you said that youve had one ,what do you think.

baz.

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
barry i also think that the four trak is a good motor for what you need.good on fuel and will pull a house down,will pull 3.5 ton. still you said that youve had one ,what do you think.

baz.
They are a good truck,but! they are known for problems with the gearbox, the engines are bullet proof tho.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts