World Sea Fishing Forums banner

trading up from a 2 stroke - it ain't worth it

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Shropfisher 
A few months ago I was on the point of trading in my 60hp Mariner Bigfoot 2 stroke for a 70hp Suzuki 4 stroke - at a net cost of about £4k fitted. To be fair this was a good price from Warrior and I was very tempted but I've been doing the sums.
Since I bought the boat about a year ago I've done 100 hours and I think I'm getting about 4 miles to the gallon at my chosen cruise of 20 knots. If I take the most optimistic figures I have seen for the suzuki that seems to be about 7 mpg.
So cost per year at the moment is about 500 gallons (probably much less as many of the hours will have been spent tootling around). I guess that's a total cost of about £2k (jeeez!!). But the suzuki would still have cost me about £1200, so it would have taken 5 years to recoup the cost of the upgrade.
Another salient point is that the local Mariner dealer charges only £70 for the annual service whereas the Suzuki dealer wants a lot more.
And the Mariner has phenomenal acceleration and is almost a whole person lighter than the Suzuki.
And I don't find the Mariner noisy. But I do find its tootling perfomance very poor (a bitch sometimes to restart).
Mike
Question - if it takes 5 years to recoup on running costs, and by the sound of it you would upgrade again in 5 years, you are at zero cost, with an engine that is very sellable !! Say you only get £1500 for it, ( thats almost next years Fuel bill paid ) Plus you have had the quiter smoother engine that will "tootle" about as much as you like.
From a straight business point of view it's a no brainer.
5 years to cover cost
Quiter running
New warrenty
lower tick over etc.
higher resale.
So the answer is in the heart not the wallet, otherwise you would just do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.