World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should never have sold my boat when I left France........... but it was too big to trail, so it had to go. I like diesel inboards, but can you get a trailable one? Nobody seemed interested, until I found out that Dave Naitby, who makes the Arran 16, was thinking about fitting a diesel inboard. He's at the market investigation stage, so if anybody else thinks its a brilliant idea, mail him encouragement on [email protected], so he will be able to offer me the boat I want. Don't worry, Pelamid, you won't be losing your crewman.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
have seen a couple of raider 18s with diesels

·
Registered
842 Posts
I should never have sold my boat when I left France........... but it was too big to trail, so it had to go. I like diesel inboards, but can you get a trailable one? Nobody seemed interested, until I found out that Dave Naitby, who makes the Arran 16, was thinking about fitting a diesel inboard. He's at the market investigation stage, so if anybody else thinks its a brilliant idea, mail him encouragement on [email protected], so he will be able to offer me the boat I want. Don't worry, Pelamid, you won't be losing your crewman.

Why not get a normal boat and bolt one of these on the back!!!

http://www.marine-power.co.uk/d2736.htm

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raider 18's too heavy for my car to tow. I'm limited to 903kg all-up including trailer, but thanks for the suggestion.

Re outboards - anything that bolts on easily can be unbolted. I just don't like outboards. Z-drives are another matter.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Hi Allan,

Will be interesting to see what response you have to your question.

Doubt it will be as much fun as 'Chasing Rainbows' yesterday at Loch Earn!

That was your first fish of the day. Your Catch - Swear - Release technique worked well for the biggest of the day.:clap:

Outboards seem to be the accepted engines for small boats at the moment.

Perhaps that attitude will change with the increases in fuel costs. We all seem to be 'Boy racers' at the moment - always after fish over the horizon.

Perhaps there are still fish just off the shoreline?

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, Pelamid, tell the world about my technique! You missed out the important bit about the casting, then lighting up a smoke/pouring a drink/eating a sandwich/otherwise turning your back on the rods. It works, though!

Seriously, you're right, I think, in questioning the future of gas-guzzlers for the private boat fisherman. "Witless" my boat in the Med. had a 400hp diesel, which in six years I only once used at full throttle, and that was to **** off the Spanish Guarda Costa on a too-close run back to France in Rosas Bay. I only paid 40€ cents a litre for diesel on the last fill in Oct 07. The Tuna paid the fuel bills & mooring.

In the UK, fuel's too expensive now to be macho. I want to fish without breaking the bank, and if I have to be a little more patient and careful, nobody's losing except the government & the oil companies, and the environment and I gain if I choose the most economical way.

I was an energy consultant in France, and am well down the path of practising what I preach. How long before other keen fishermen realise that energy conservation equals savings in the long run?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Allan,

When you first talked about your interest in inboard engines for boats under about 16' I remember you mentioning there was a jump between 10hp and 20hp. Nothing came to mind in between.

Anyone on the forum know what inboard diesels are available for small trailerable boats?

Are they all shaft drive or have any been set up for other drive methods?

In 10years time I reckon a lot of us will be asking these questions. Maybe sooner with the way fuel costs and taxation are going.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if you can find one of these you wont find a lighter 3 cylinder diesel,AND its VW so reliable,then all you have to decide on is the final drive,hope this helps

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Dave.S & Scottonjayne for your suggestions. Pelamid, I know we are singing (reluctantly) from the same hymnbook.

My diesel car - a model not marketed in the UK, the Dacia Logan MCV, 80hp diesel estate, does around 55mpg on average, and putting 750/800kg on the back doesn't seem to make any difference, but the paperwork limits me to 903kg behind. So what can I trail? A gas guzzler? Out of the question.

Impossible to talk to the Orkney boys direct - there's no contact facility on their website. It seems to me that Dave Naitby with his Arran 16 is streets ahead, because he has the courtesy and respect to reply to queries, albeit in a disappointing - from my point of view - fashion, but he justifies his replies. At least for the short term, (2009/10) I'm going to have to go 4-stroke petrol, and I'm 90% sure with an Arran 16 from Dave, once I've sorted out the minutiae. By the way, anybody got any comments on the combined GPS chartplotters/fishfinders from Garmin or Lowrance, etc? My old kit was separate, the fishfinder on 2 frequencies, B&W, and ran on steam, the GPS was slightly more reliable than my wet finger, compass & watch, but was certainly CIA surplus. Still miss it, though.

Alan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts