World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in my life I own twin axle trailer. Do I need this? Do you think that single one would be better for launch/manoeuvre?

Maybe some of you has a good experience as a user of both - single and twin axle trailers?

My boat is 18ft and weight of the boat with the engine and equipment would be roughly 750-850 kg maybe?

I know I definitely need braked trailer. At the moment I have Fletchers Transcontinental, GCW is 1600 kg, the trailer weights itself 360 kg so it can carry max 1240 kg. It is not roller-coaster one so launching would be a bit tougher I guess...

Would it be better to swap to a smaller, single axle one? Cheaper service, lighter, easier to manouvre by hand (???)

·
Registered
878 Posts
For the first time in my life I own twin axle trailer. Do I need this? Do you think that single one would be better for launch/manoeuvre?
Maybe some of you has a good experience as a user of both - single and twin axle trailers?
My boat is 18ft and weight of the boat with the engine and equipment would be roughly 750-850 kg maybe?
I know I definitely need braked trailer. At the moment I have Fletchers Transcontinental, GCW is 1600 kg, the trailer weights itself 360 kg so it can carry max 1240 kg. It is not roller-coaster one so launching would be a bit tougher I guess...
Would it be better to swap to a smaller, single axle one? Cheaper service, lighter, easier to manouvre by hand (???)
First off try moving the twin axle trailer about on your own, you will find it hard to do and not anything like a single.
Secondly, I would be surprised if the boat you just purchased on it's own only weighs "roughly 750 kg", there a lot heaver build lay up than a lot of the newer boats, so with the engine and all the other "essential items" your soon going to be well over your 850 kg.
Thirdly, the keel roller type trailers with stabilising arms with rollers on are very good if it's all set up correctly and should be no problems launching and retrieving (I am toying with getting one for mine as I have a twin axle Roller-coaster at the moment).
And yes I have had both types of trailer I.E twin/single axle, Roller-coaster/T type (can't remember the proper name for them lol).
A twin axle is better for towing any distance but a lot harder to "manhandle" off the vehicle, unlike a single.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must agree with you. I’ve done quick list of weights and its even close to 1 tonne.

Boat 650 (found in boat specs)
engine 160
battery 20
aux engine 25
main fuel 35
aux fuel 15
fishing/personal equipment, boat equipment (anchor, chain, straps, lines…) 15

920 kg

I have no photo of my trailer on me now but it looks almost identical to the one I’ve attached here - with central rollers + those 2… supporting arms (???) which are covered with carpet like material and the boat sits on it (mine is without these blue vertical stabilisers on the sides).
All set up is very heavy and I was able to barely move it on my own when putting the boat on my driveway. With little help of my wife we were able to park the boat quite easily even with not enough air in the tyres. I’ve inflated them to 2 bars each before the journey and checked later in the specs and it should be at least 3 bars! What a dummy!

The distance was 40 miles and it did its job but wheels definitely need a full service. Brakes work but are noisy as hell. Bearing noisy to. The trailer itself (pipes, welds) is in v. good condition though.

Thank you! Adam

Attachments

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Yours is a bunk trailer then, and from what I've heard these can be a lot harder to launch from, because you can't slide a boat off the bunks, you have to float it off and on again. This means you'll likely need to fully submerge the trailer each time you launch and recover, which in turn means your tow vehicle will be more exposed to saltwater depending on the angle of the slip.

In your shoes I'd look to get a roller-coaster type trailer. I have one of these under my boat (Predator 165) and I can launch and recover single-handedly. Recovery in particular is made easier with the rollers as I can winch the boat onto the trailer whilst the rollers self-align the boat keel to the keel rollers.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You can convert your bunk trailer to a roller bunk. I did mine somewhere inbetween by having keel rollers and 4 supporting roller beds which I made myself. It picks the boat off of the floor an absolute doddle and boat can be rolled back and forth by hand easily too....

The twin/single axle debate will really come down to personal preference. You may find a twin easier to reverse as they tend to turn a bit slower, they certainly tow better and give a better ride bot can be awkward to manouvre by hand in tight spaces.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Also it depends a lot on "how" it's set up.
Too much weight bearing support on the bunks and not on the keel rollers will make the boat almost impossible to move on the trailer.
You need to have the weight of the boat mainly on the centre rollers while the bunks just take a smaller amount (more as a steadying than weight bearing) imo.
But as suzook says, you can make the bunks "roller" by diy or buy, but the bought one's are quite expensive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can convert your bunk trailer to a roller bunk. I did mine somewhere inbetween by having keel rollers and 4 supporting roller beds which I made myself. It picks the boat off of the floor an absolute doddle and boat can be rolled back and forth by hand easily too.... The twin/single axle debate will really come down to personal preference. You may find a twin easier to reverse as they tend to turn a bit slower, they certainly tow better and give a better ride bot can be awkward to manouvre by hand in tight spaces.
Really good answers here, thanks. Very helpful.

As Andy135 says - launching might be a bit difficult and submerging the trailer in full would be a must especially here in Poole. Our public slip in Biter Park is not great - even in high water is very shallow and you need to push the setup a bit further in the water to get the boat floating. The good thing is that I’m not planning plenty of fishing trips till March-April when season begins so I will have a time to consider to change the trailer to a single axle one with rollers or, as Suzook suggests, change bunks to rollers.

Manicdev, I think that most of weight of the boat is on centre rollers but moving the boat on the trailer is still quite difficult.
I need to recalculate what would be better to me in the terms of money. I can sell my trailer and buy another one or convert this one + do a wheels service (bearings + brakes) + buy set of rollers and put them in the place of bunks (there are not cheap though…).
The main question is still “Single or twin”. I’m planning to travel a bit with boat (40-50 miles each way) from time to time so maybe I will stick to twin one… Difficult :)

Suzook, any chances to get some picture of your converted trailer to get some visualisations?

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I went the other way round from a single axle trailer to twin. Simply because of the towing factor and where I launched was soft sand and shingle. All I can add is that despite the advantages for me in a twin axle setting it up correctly was far more complex than a single in terms of getting the wheel spread and placement correct re nose height and weight. But once set up I thought was superior to single axle. Downsides are not just manhandling which if the wheels are close enough together is no real biggie, but tipping for winter storage / drainage. That was quite a faff that entailed letting the rear tires down somewhat and chocking the front tires, jacking up the front with a ladder jack and then placing axle stands all round to get the wheels off the deck for servicing. Sounds simple but was a palava.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Oh, to add with a twin I found man handling it in the driveway the trailer jack wheel took a beating. I found one of these dollies very handy indeed.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
I have a twin axle trailer but would prefer a single if the boat was light enough because of the downsides already mentioned - no need for twin axles on an 18ft boat. Having said that, I don't think the downsides are enough to justify the cost of swapping to a single axle - I would rather spend the money on upgraded electronics, a PLB, top quality lifejackets etc.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohh Suzook, you do great stuff mate and as I can see you have great place/space and equipment to do this! Really great job!
My boat sits on 2 bunks and on 3 or 4 centre rollers. Do you think if instead of wooden bunks I’d put roller bunks would do the trick and boat would be easier to launch and recover? To my unexperienced eye it would work isn’t it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ohh Suzook, you do great stuff mate and as I can see you have great place/space and equipment to do this! Really great job!
My boat sits on 2 bunks and on 3 or 4 centre rollers. Do you think if instead of wooden bunks I’d put roller bunks would do the trick and boat would be easier to launch and recover? To my unexperienced eye it would work isn’t it?
Cheers, that was the prototype version, had intentions of doing another set running on bearings, keel rollers the same. Unfortunately stuff got in the way then had to give the workshop up. If you can draw what you want, getting bits made out isn't that expensive just be prepared to wait......

I looked at the ones you have pictured, but I didn't like the price and didn't like how rigid they were mounted. I wanted mine to pivot front to back and side to side which I feel helps lead the boat on to the trailer rather than trying to flop to either side. I biased them to the direction I wanted them to fall by putting the pivots slightly off centre and hard stops to limit the drop....

Geoff is undoubtedly correct in that swinging cradles would work better, again though, I just didn't like the price so came up with my own solution. Am pleased to say it has worked as desired :BigGrin::BigGrin:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This looks good but £365 scares me a little :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
...that was the prototype version, had intentions of doing another set....
Hiya,
My present trailer's structure is in good condition but axles with suspension units (its as one element) + brakes are shot and need to be replaced.
There are 2 axles but I'd like to change it to just one to avoid doubled costs. So at first I'd change the axle and then I'd go for rolled bunks. So it would cost roughly 500 quid. What would you do guys in my situation? Fix and modify the trailer or sell this one and find a good one?

upload_2018-10-27_20-15-11.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts