World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently had the experience of a trailer breakdown by losing 2 of the wheel studs. I called the RAC thinking that my cover would allow for the trailer and boat to be recovered to find out that it only covers the car and the trailer must be roadworthy.
Does anyone know of a recovery service that will recover my boat on its trailer if the trailer breaks down?
I don't want another bill for £500!

·
Registered
30 Posts
this i dont understand, as a couple of years ago, my trailer broke its back, and the rac loaded it and took it home for me, granted no boat on it,
you should check with them, as i am sure there was a mistake some where

·
Registered
890 Posts
i used to work for an aa and rac contractor if you only had rescue they give you 30 minutes to try and repair vehicle or trailor on the road side,then leave you with the agro of arranging transport home.
if you have RECOVERY they should have taken your boat home on a flat bed lorry. send them the bill and a letter of complaint,i will bet you get a cheque back to cover the bill.
all the breakdown services are the same which ever one you choose (****).
just get recovery their other services are not worth bothering about.
green flag used to be good.

tight lines

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive re-read through the RAC terms and conditions and it definitly doesn't cover the boat on the trailer when the trailer is broken. I have also done a bit of ringing round and many cover the trailer but not the boat on it. I'll try the AA tomorrow.
I think this is quite an important subject for those of us that trailer a boat because I bet a few of you did not realise what is actually covered. Reading through the AA terms and conditions I am not sure whether they will recover the boat and trailer if the trailer is broken. I'll let you know tomorrow.

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Saturday last week a mate's trailer collapsed. He was on ALCO bearings which are not replacable roadside. He got the trailer and boat brought to me for me to fit the axle with new suspension units.

It came on the back of an RAC flat wagon.

I asked him and he said it was covered under 'Recovery'. I don't know if it is normal or not as I have never been in one of these organisations.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply Chris,
I did a bit more investigation and if you are a member of the "caravan and camping club" the RAC will recover the trailer and boat. I will be joining tomorrow!

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had read on another forum some one else who had been left by the RAC with a broken down trailer and as my renewal was due I sent them an email this was there reply

Thank you for your email to RAC Motoring Services. Please accept my
apologies for the delay in reply.

I would like to advise that under our Recovery service caravans/trailers on tow at the time of a breakdown
are covered up to a maximum overall length of 7.6 metres (25 feet)including tow bar. However, if it is your
caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if
requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange
but not pay for this.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you require any further assistance please contact us again.

Regards

Tessa Francis
RAC Customer Services

I am a member of the Camping and Caravaning club I took a look at their web site and saw a caravan being loaded on to a RAC recovery Truck under their Arrival scheme and it covers all trailers.
I phoned the RAC to check, the result was that Arrival was added to my Recovery for no extra charge I only had to give them my Caravan and Camping Club membership number.
Seems a bit to simple lets hope I never have to put it to the test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts