World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first boat had it out once as yet. would like to know if I can put rollers on the rear instead of the rails which aren't great, and which rollers would be good for the rear of the trailor as it is a bit a fight to winch it. Also any advice on getting it to sit nicely would be appreciated it's strait but only touching one side..

·
Global Moderator
2,568 Posts
Yes you can put rollers ovee the entire thing if you like, no reason to leave it with bunks, andnit makes life much easier.

Re making it sit better. Initially it is a faff.
Get the boat on the trailer as best and straight as you can and then adjust the height and angle of each roller so that it fits snug to the hull, then nip the clamp back up to secure. If its out currently then you will have to eithee raise the side that doesnt touch, or raise rhe side that does if its too low, then adjust the opposite side and so on until it is level and you are happy with it.
Re typea of rollers- some.are better than others, but i have no comments towards what may be best. A roller is a roller to this tight fisted lady!

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you decide to keep the skids cover them with old carpet cable tie them on then give the carpet a lite covering grease your boat slide off easily

·
Registered
193 Posts
The bunks in your photo do spread the weight, rollers unless you have plenty can create a localised stress point under hull. Also, most people have those bunks too high - keep the weight on the keel rollers and just use the bunks to steady the boat. The bit of slack lets the boat slide / roll on the keel rollers. Get nylon rollers if you can - they glide better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also, I had a Snipe trailer with that wishbone suspension. Not best design really. I bolted a beam under that cross member and converted to ‘indespension’ type - boat towed a lot better.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you can put rollers ovee the entire thing if you like, no reason to leave it with bunks, andnit makes life much easier.

Re making it sit better. Initially it is a faff.
Get the boat on the trailer as best and straight as you can and then adjust the height and angle of each roller so that it fits snug to the hull, then nip the clamp back up to secure. If its out currently then you will have to eithee raise the side that doesnt touch, or raise rhe side that does if its too low, then adjust the opposite side and so on until it is level and you are happy with it.
Re typea of rollers- some.are better than others, but i have no comments towards what may be best. A roller is a roller to this tight fisted lady!
Thank you. Yeah I think most of the guides are out quite a bit, not sure how much they can be moved by, and yeah currently any roller is better than no roller, and 'cheap' rollers are best of all

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. The boat lives on the trailer so I'll be able to check the function of the rollers once it is out again. I'll see if I can adjust the hight/angle of the rollers and bunks. It might make enough difrence to not need to spend more money. (already replaced the coupling and winch)

If you decide to keep the skids cover them with old carpet cable tie them on then give the carpet a lite covering grease your boat slide off easily
Thank you, I might try that first, though they don't really touch the boat at the moment. Looks like I need to play with it a bit.

The bunks in your photo do spread the weight, rollers unless you have plenty can create a localised stress point under hull. Also, most people have those bunks too high - keep the weight on the keel rollers and just use the bunks to steady the boat.
I'll cheak the hight to se if that helps. though currently theres only contact in a few points which is definitely putting stress on just a few sections.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In process of converting my bunked trailer to rollers. Trailer used to carry 23' boat - 22 rollers each side (probably overkill). Bunks were about 8' in length. Fairly simple job to bolt brackets on. I'm using a couple of cheap scissor car jacks bought off auction website to adjust the height and to get them level (spirit level on transom). Should greatly improve launching and recovery.

Qin e
Just got my first boat had it out once as yet. would like to know if I can put rollers on the rear instead of the rails which aren't great, and which rollers would be good for the rear of the trailor as it is a bit a fight to winch it. Also any advice on getting it to sit nicely would be appreciated it's strait but only touching one side.. View attachment 1364795 View attachment 1364797 View attachment 1364798
Just got my first boat had it out once as yet. would like to know if I can put rollers on the rear instead of the rails which aren't great, and which rollers would be good for the rear of the trailor as it is a bit a fight to winch it. Also any advice on getting it to sit nicely would be appreciated it's strait but only touching one side.. View attachment 1364795 View attachment 1364797 View attachment 1364798

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
For sure you can replace with all new rollers but getting decent quality ones will cost and buying those soft black rubber ones will be a case of constantly having to replace them and clean black marks of the hull. The pvc rollers comes in different grades to suit different hull materials, these are often colour coded with blue being the hardest, suited to aluminium hulls and reds or yellows being softer for fibreglass (and won't mark the hull).

The brackets and stem sizes can be different, as can the hole size through the roller pins so make sure you get the right sizes to match if going down that path.

Carpeted skids are terrible. Firstly they don't really skid very well at all and often grip the hull after a few uses and salt builds up in the shag pile!!!!😆 . I once bought a boat that had marine carpet trailer bunks, which the carpet had built up with salt, road dirt and sand, which wore holes along the gelcoat and into the fibreglass around 5mm deep. Teflon strips designed for boat trailers works very well and is extremely cost effective. These strips have a grove where screws or pop rivets can either be screwed into timber bunks or riveted into Aluminium or gal trailers.

I take off most rollers from boat trailers I buy and replace with teflon skids, this is also the most common setup you will find on commercial trailer boat outfits that are launched and retrieved daily. These make driving on and off trailers so easy that my kids were able to do it at a very young age ( I also skipper several commercial vessels all with these easy loading skid designs). My daughters boat has bunks running the same direction like yours but with the same red teflon skids. Her boat did have carpeted bunks which had also scratched her hull which is an almost brand new boat. Carpet might be ok if you use the boat in freshwater and never get any abrasive dirt onto the carpet but you will still find the boat won't slip off it very well and that you will need to reverse your trailer deeper into the water to get it off.

Ive got heaps of rollers in my garage, had a fella came round once to take them but when he saw my trailer setup he'd changed his mind and left the rollers!!!!

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.38.27 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.38.43 am.png
FDD9967F-5B46-4D4C-97CD-A26DAAEC6FB0_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
284 Posts
For sure you can replace with all new rollers but getting decent quality ones will cost and buying those soft black rubber ones will be a case of constantly having to replace them and clean black marks of the hull. The pvc rollers comes in different grades to suit different hull materials, these are often colour coded with blue being the hardest, suited to aluminium hulls and reds or yellows being softer for fibreglass (and won't mark the hull).

The brackets and stem sizes can be different, as can the hole size through the roller pins so make sure you get the right sizes to match if going down that path.

Carpeted skids are terrible. Firstly they don't really skid very well at all and often grip the hull after a few uses and salt builds up in the shag pile!!!!😆 . I once bought a boat that had marine carpet trailer bunks, which the carpet had built up with salt, road dirt and sand, which wore holes along the gelcoat and into the fibreglass around 5mm deep. Teflon strips designed for boat trailers works very well and is extremely cost effective. These strips have a grove where screws or pop rivets can either be screwed into timber bunks or riveted into Aluminium or gal trailers.

I take off most rollers from boat trailers I buy and replace with teflon skids, this is also the most common setup you will find on commercial trailer boat outfits that are launched and retrieved daily. These make driving on and off trailers so easy that my kids were able to do it at a very young age ( I also skipper several commercial vessels all with these easy loading skid designs). My daughters boat has bunks running the same direction like yours but with the same red teflon skids. Her boat did have carpeted bunks which had also scratched her hull which is an almost brand new boat. Carpet might be ok if you use the boat in freshwater and never get any abrasive dirt onto the carpet but you will still find the boat won't slip off it very well and that you will need to reverse your trailer deeper into the water to get it off.

Ive got heaps of rollers in my garage, had a fella came round once to take them but when he saw my trailer setup he'd changed his mind and left the rollers!!!!

View attachment 1365055 View attachment 1365056 View attachment 1365057
Sadly not available in uk!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Sadly not available in uk!
Thats quite surprising as they are basically a very cheap solution for bunks. Ive literally just knocked up two bunks for another little boat we have, cost for the treated timber and bunks 20-25 quid.

IMG_3859.jpg

·
Global Moderator
2,568 Posts
There must be somewhere in the uk that would knock some of these up. If they are unobtainable then theres a small business to be had id imagine!

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I love the carpeted bunks on my trailer - it's the best trailer to load on that I've ever used (and the biggest boat I've ever recovered onto a trailer). BUT they are made of solid wood, the best part of 3" wide and there are no keel supports to get in the way so the boat automatically centres on them as you drive it on (I also have trailer guides to ensure I'm placing the boat pretty much centrally any way) - and the other big BUT (pardon the expression:)) is that the hull was built for the trailer has stringers right above the bunks to ensure the boat is OK with this support. The other big advantage is that the lack of stuff under the boat then makes it very easy to clean and paint the bottom of the boat.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I love the carpeted bunks on my trailer - it's the best trailer to load on that I've ever used (and the biggest boat I've ever recovered onto a trailer). BUT they are made of solid wood, the best part of 3" wide and there are no keel supports to get in the way so the boat automatically centres on them as you drive it on (I also have trailer guides to ensure I'm placing the boat pretty much centrally any way) - and the other big BUT (pardon the expression:)) is that the hull was built for the trailer has stringers right above the bunks to ensure the boat is OK with this support. The other big advantage is that the lack of stuff under the boat then makes it very easy to clean and paint the bottom of the boat.
So you don't keep this one on a mooring like the last one. I think the big difference is that here most people tow their boats hundreds of kms (thousands for some of us) to launch in many different locations. These big drives give a fair opportunity for dirt to get into the carpet with the salt build up. It will be interesting to hear how you feel about the carpets when you start getting some big hours on the motor and lasts of launch and retrieving. They were popular here for a while, in fact one of my neighbours has carpeted bunks but doesn't use his boat more than a handful of times per year, he also has issues getting his boat to slide off (partly due to our local ramp angle).

Its hard to tell what they are from the photo and I found it difficult to search for them in the UK from here. I did see these solid plastic skids which I imagine would flex under load but might be worth looking at. Roxom Boat Trailer Bunks with 45 Degree Bends 6 Foot. Ribbed Plastic Design. Camouflage Green Color. Carpet Replacement Slides. Aluminium Boat Hulls. Hunter & Fisherman Guides.: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
So you don't keep this one on a mooring like the last one
Yep still on a mooring, but recovered for winter. I can see what you're saying about getting the carpet full of sand and salt, but if you trailer all the time, hose it out whilst it's on shore without the boat on it?

But as I said, one of the key things from my bunks being so successful is the boat and trailer being perfectly matched as an original package from the factory in the US. I'm glad the trailer made it across the Atlantic when the boat came over.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bit of an update. The bunk which was too high was lowerd percussivly. The boat is now sitting firmly on the rollers and was much easier to winch.
The bunk though are not touching the Hull at all. I'm thinking new bunks or rollers will be needed next.
Not looking forward to trying to get those bolts off

·
Global Moderator
2,568 Posts
Bit of an update. The bunk which was too high was lowerd percussivly. The boat is now sitting firmly on the rollers and was much easier to winch.
The bunk though are not touching the Hull at all. I'm thinking new bunks or rollers will be needed next.
Not looking forward to trying to get those bolts off
Just angle grind the bolts off and replace with new. Much less faff.
Glad she is sitting prettier with a few adjustments though.

Reactions: steeli
1 - 19 of 19 Posts