World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 500 mile round trip, had both tyres go on the trailer, first was a blow out on the way up after around 100 miles, then on the return the second developed a "bleb" the size of an egg. Thankfully I always carry a spare and replaced the damaged tyre before the return journey. They were both 500x10 8ply rated at 500kg each with bearly any wear, fitted to a 750kg Snipe rollercoaster carrying a Seahog Trooper with a 75 HP Mariner. I,m wondering if I have been unfortunate or is there an underlying problem I,m missing. The trailer and boat were overwintered on grass, with the wheels turned every 6/8 weeks. I have noticed that the tyres do get quite hot to the touch but have assumed this to be the norm with 10" wheels. Anyway thought I would ask if anyone has had the same problem or got a solution. Thanks Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just returned from a 500 mile round trip, had both tyres go on the trailer, first was a blow out on the way up after around 100 miles, then on the return the second developed a "bleb" the size of an egg. Thankfully I always carry a spare and replaced the damaged tyre before the return journey. They were both 500x10 8ply rated at 500kg each with bearly any wear, fitted to a 750kg Snipe rollercoaster carrying a Seahog Trooper with a 75 HP Mariner. I,m wondering if I have been unfortunate or is there an underlying problem I,m missing. The trailer and boat were overwintered on grass, with the wheels turned every 6/8 weeks. I have noticed that the tyres do get quite hot to the touch but have assumed this to be the norm with 10" wheels. Anyway thought I would ask if anyone has had the same problem or got a solution. Thanks Pete

Hi Pete

The snipe 750 trailer only has a carrying capacity of 550kg's (And some models only have 500kgs)
The dry weight of the seahog trooper is 500kgs and the engine is about 120kgs

So thats a total of 620kgs before adding anything else eg: fuel, tanks, back up engine etc etc,

so the trailer is overweight,

The tyres are rated to 500kgs each, but if you add up the total weight of package your pushing the upper limit on them,

Boat 500kgs
Engine 120 Kgs (Approx)
Trailer 200 Kgs

These add up to 820kgs before anything else is added.

It may be worth adding the complete weight of the boat together including all tackle. tanks, fuel, anchor(s) Aux engine etc etc to get a good idea of the weight. And then look to set up/Replace the trailer accordingly

Is your trailer a snipe R15 - 750?

Dai

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Hi Pete

The snipe 750 trailer only has a carrying capacity of 550kg's (And some models only have 500kgs)
The dry weight of the seahog trooper is 500kgs and the engine is about 120kgs

So thats a total of 620kgs before adding anything else eg: fuel, tanks, back up engine etc etc,

so the trailer is overweight,

The tyres are rated to 500kgs each, but if you add up the total weight of package your pushing the upper limit on them,

Boat 500kgs
Engine 120 Kgs (Approx)
Trailer 200 Kgs

These add up to 820kgs before anything else is added.

It may be worth adding the complete weight of the boat together including all tackle. tanks, fuel, anchor(s) Aux engine etc etc to get a good idea of the weight. And then look to set up the trailer accordingly

Is your trailer a snipe R15 - 750?

Dai
Whether it's an R14/R15/R17/R19 or R20, if it's a 750 (which the tyre size suggests), it's being run illegally for 2 reasons:
1. It's overloaded
2. Gross weight exceeds 750kg so trailer must have brakes (none of the Snipe 750's have brakes).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Whether it's an R14/R15/R17/R19 or R20, if it's a 750 (which the tyre size suggests), it's being run illegally for 2 reasons:
1. It's overloaded
2. Gross weight exceeds 750kg so trailer must have brakes (none of the Snipe 750's have brakes).
That's what i was thinking, The Roller 750 Only has a capacity of 500kgs, So a breaked trailer with 13" tyres would be more suited.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had similar problems when I ran a trailer on 10 inch wheels, despite using reinforced tyres. Eventually changed the suspension and brake units and moved to 13 inch wheels - problem went away, and 13 inch tyres are a dammed site cheaper than reinforced 10 inch tyres.

If your boat stands on the trailer and doesn't move for long periods of time (maybe over the winter), I'd certainly think about jacking up the trailer and put it on axle stands.

Chris

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I have a Teale16 with a 55hp Yam & an 8hp Yam all the usual "bells & whistles" big engine start battery, small electronic battery, smaller chartplotter (spare) etc, etc, & like you its just too bloody heavy.
Choices I have are put another axle on & make it a 4 wheel trailer (4 x 10") or change the hubs & wheels & go to 13" still debating which to do, but I have to do one or the other, I am looking for the cheapest option!:g:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the relpies, sorry I have not responded sooner been down the road for a couple of days. The overloaded scenario sounds more than plausable, the plate states 550kg capacity and I do tend carry all but the kitchen sink, I think a trip to the weighbridge may be in order. Had a Warrior a couple of years ago on a Rapide 1200kg braked trailer with 13" wheels never had any problems with it, dragged it all over the country, think its time to up grade. A bit miffed at myself for not noticing the overload, given that I,m an HGV driver, something I,m meticulous about at work:doh:.
Just a note to Blueskip, adding an extra axle to your trailer won,t increase its load capicity to more than 750kg without the addition of brakes as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts