World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks need some advice have a nice garmin unit and has a transome mount transducer with it as i have been refitting from scratch. however i note the difficulty in mounting the transducer properly.
the problem i have is the mounting location actually at the transom would seem to be in the cavitation area of the swing of the engine transom 1

however would it be ok to mount it in transom 2 position

as this is on the rear of the boat but would still seem to be in the water and level with the bottom of the hull but has a larger gradient slope than normal for mounting.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Can`t see a problm with you mounting the transducer in the 2nd postion you have shown. The bracket on the transducer is adjustable and you often get angled shims with them to allow for the dead rise of the transom.

Alan

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Position 2 for me, 1 is a non starter, it would be like mounting it in a washing machine.

Tip for you, you already realise it needs to have the bracket absolutely vertical, take a trip to your local double glazing fitters. They have plastic wedges for packing out windows and doors to get a level, they are in various angles and are ridged so they can be stacked on top of each other. No matter what the deadrise these wedges will give you a neutral angle either singly or in combination.

Trick is to use pairs centrally under the mounting holes the screws go through. Find the combination of white, black, blue, green etc wedges and drill a clearance hole for the mounting screws. Add a substantial dose of Sikaflex for waterproofing and screw the lot in place.

Once cured trim the excess wedge material down to the last wedge with a wood chisel then go to the stanley for a final clean without damage to the gell, helps if the smallest wedge is next to the skin of the boat. Take your time and you will end up with a spot on mounting. If the various coulours of material bother you smear Sikaflex around the outside of the wedges after they are trimmed and before you dunk the boat, it will stick like the proverbial to the fresh edges and make the wedge stack look part of the boat hull.

Last point, sorry, your picture shows strakes under the hull, they help the boat track but throw out wierd vortices at the stern, mount your tranny half way between them to avoid the disturbed water they will cause.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks folks makes life a bit easier for me running the cable too i discovered just needed 2nd opinions as wasnt sure due to the gradient at the back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts