World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we all spend sometime reading French websites, and I know Bar = Bass. But I keep seeing WOLF mentioned? So can anyone tell me to which fish are they referring???

Cheers Tunny

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
I guess we all spend sometime reading French websites, and I know Bar = Bass. But I keep seeing WOLF mentioned? So can anyone tell me to which fish are they referring???

Cheers Tunny
I doubt very much that it's a fish, whatever it is.
Probably an acronym for something tedious beyond imagining,or an unspeakable Gallic sexual activity involving fish .
Cheers,
Davey.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Wolf=Loup

It is the name for a French Wolf........

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Wolf=Loup

It is the name for a French Wolf........
Non, pas de tout...
C'est un Loup Francais !
However, Loup de l'Atlantique is a sea catfish, Scarborough Woof, or in Norwegian, Steinbitt ( Stone-biter,very apt ).
Anarhichas lupus.
Don't ever get bitten by one o' they buggers......
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks LittleMissMermaid,
I had gotten that Loup, is french for wolf, from the latin Lupus.
But to what fish are they referring??
The site definately use the term, as if it is the name (slang maybe) for a type of fish.

Fingers crossed someone will enlighten me.

Tunny

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Thanks LittleMissMermaid,
I had gotten that Loup, is french for wolf, from the latin Lupus.
But to what fish are they referring??
The site definately use the term, as if it is the name (slang maybe) for a type of fish.

Fingers crossed someone will enlighten me.

Tunny
Already done.
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Google can translate words in most languages and even whole websites to a lesser or greater degree...always handy to know...:happy:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
As far as I know a Loup de mer is the slang for a bass caught in the mediteranean and a bar is an atlantic bass like we get, there are sometimes discussions in french magazines and forums discussing whether they are the same species, which I think they are but I am no marine bio.

·
Registered
961 Posts
As far as I know a Loup de mer is the slang for a bass caught in the mediteranean and a bar is an atlantic bass like we get, there are sometimes discussions in french magazines and forums discussing whether they are the same species, which I think they are but I am no marine bio.
Spot on Mick. How's your Klingon?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mick,
I was wondering if I was missing out on a species :bones:
As I keep reading about Bar and Wolf.
Tight lines
Tunny

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Thanks Mick,
I was wondering if I was missing out on a species :bones:
As I keep reading about Bar and Wolf.
Tight lines
Tunny
I'll have a quick check, but it sounds like there's a multiplicity of names for bass down there.
The only reference to Loup that I can find in the French translation of the excellent Muus/ Dahlstrom book is regarding the genus Anarhichas, ie; sea catfish/wolf fish/ etc , etc.
Best try and get some clarification from the French on that one,especially if it's a species found down in the Med, that could be right out of our thinking.
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Another swift thought; could the fish in question be Maigre commun ?
(Argyrosomus regius )
It looks a bit like a bass, but grows to 2m in length and a weight of up to 65 kg. The soft second dorsal fin is twice as long as the spiky first dorsal fin.
Not mentioned as Loup de mer, but it's starting to tick a few boxes, I think.
Cheers,
Davey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts