World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on a few forums the use of a bilge pump mount that has a water pickup pipe for when motoring - can't seem to find any for sale in the UK - only USA or Oz, are they worth it and if so any UK suppliers? Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi Brian

What you need is one of these. It will pickup water without the need for the pump running when motoring and then when drifting have an automatic switch that runs the pump every few minutes. I've had two on different boats and are brillent. However you will need to order from the states.

Rule Model 265 Transom Bracket
to mount the bait pump to the transom

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
They work well when underway saving on having the pump permanently running. They cost us around 20 quid here in Aus but should be very easy for someone with basic welding or plumbing skills to knock up.

JonD

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Hi Brian

What you need is one of these. It will pickup water without the need for the pump running when motoring and then when drifting have an automatic switch that runs the pump every few minutes. I've had two on different boats and are brillent. However you will need to order from the states.

Rule Model 265 Transom Bracket
to mount the bait pump to the transom
Not me. It's Matty who's after something

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
View attachment 371474 Saw these in use use in OZ nailed on the transom, ok when moving but no good if stopped. Could make one??

With this above type you end up with two lots of hose, one from the pick up and the other from the pump.

If you use the type I use the pump sits on the bracket where by cutting a hole in the bottom of the rule plastic base the water gets forced up through the pump. When the boat drops off the plane the pump can be turned on as the pump drops bellow the waterline. A simple on off valve somewhere easy to reach is needed to stop water flow when not needed.

As you can see from where we place them they would be extremely hard to get fouled by ropes or tackle, Ive never had anything wrap around mine.

If needed I could quickly reach over the stern to unclip the pump then place on the floor inside the boat to pump out any water on the floor (self draining means I dont need to bother but this may be worth a thought for those without self drain).

Not quite sure why anyone would want a timer as 500- 750 lt pumps draw very little power and to keep 20 -30 mackerel in prime condition a constant water-flow is needed (keep it simple).

JonD

·
Registered
40 Posts
With this above type you end up with two lots of hose, one from the pick up and the other from the pump.

If you use the type I use the pump sits on the bracket where by cutting a hole in the bottom of the rule plastic base the water gets forced up through the pump. When the boat drops off the plane the pump can be turned on as the pump drops bellow the waterline. A simple on off valve somewhere easy to reach is needed to stop water flow when not needed.

As you can see from where we place them they would be extremely hard to get fouled by ropes or tackle, Ive never had anything wrap around mine.

If needed I could quickly reach over the stern to unclip the pump then place on the floor inside the boat to pump out any water on the floor (self draining means I dont need to bother but this may be worth a thought for those without self drain).

Not quite sure why anyone would want a timer as 500- 750 lt pumps draw very little power and to keep 20 -30 mackerel in prime condition a constant water-flow is needed (keep it simple).

JonD

I have the exact same bracket and setup on my boat, works a treat. Had to import it from Oz though as nobody seems to offer them in this part of the world!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.