World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am after a travel beach rod, for clean ground 4-6casting. The options I have found so far are the daiwa wilderness, Fox trek, shakespear salt, veals own jobie and a shimano beastmaster, but this one seems to be almost £50 more.

What are peoples opinions of the selection and has anyone got any other recomendations
Also after a travel tripod shrinking down to around 3'

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I am after a travel beach rod, for clean ground 4-6casting. The options I have found so far are the daiwa wilderness, Fox trek, shakespear salt, veals own jobie and a shimano beastmaster, but this one seems to be almost £50 more.

What are peoples opinions of the selection and has anyone got any other recomendations
Also after a travel tripod shrinking down to around 3'

Cheers

Chris
So you are concerned with the price? Is the shimano out of your range?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have been giving a Shimano Beastmaster STC Telescopic Surf rod TBMAXSFTE4212 a good thrashing both fishing and on the field.

So far i can't fault it, great fishing rod and can cast well with a full Pendulum. It's the cheapest model at only £99.99.
At first I was a bit weary of it snapping on the field, so just used it for 3oz light line. After a few weeks stepped up to 4oz and 5oz weights and so far the rod has stayed in one piece.
It's a real nice rod to fish with great bite detection. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Chris, just noticed you are in Suffolk. I'm in Ipswich, Where do you fish?if near to you, you can have a go with mine.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
hi mate ihave a ron thomson 6 piece beachcaster and it is very good,it will put a bait 100yds with not too much effort,if you look around you can pick them up for about 40 quid and it is very good value comes packed in a round cordura hard tube,i also have the veals travel rod rest which again is a tidy bit of kit ,have a look on the website www.veals.com

·
Registered
457 Posts
The 13 foot Shimano is a good rod and casts well enough but the ring inserts seem a bit suspect. The rod blew off the Tripod last winter onto just sand and 4 ring inserts popped out. I might just have been unlucky and Shimano replaced them all free of charge (which I thought was excellent customer service)

Fact is though, I have had my Diawa's blow off the Tripod and up the beach many times and with no damage.

Skiptonian (Rough on Rods)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought a 13ft Diawa Wilderness Travel beach, and have to say I'm impressed by how good it is. It certainley compares well with two piece rods in the same price bracket. I've used it for flinging big baits and leads around, and i've been upsetting double figure smoothhounds in fast tides with it. The rod isn't going to break records, but it will put a bait 100yds+ and handle decent fish. The one caveat is that the butt ring is a bit too close to the reel seat for fixed spool work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
diawas a good rod would recommend

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
If its for 1 rod only whilst traveling have a look at sandspikes especially ones made up of angle ally, if they're too long you can cut them in half and drill holes to take bolts and wing nuts (4 works) so it can be bolted back together, a 4ft sandspike (less the 4" overlap you now need to reattach) becomes 2ft for traveling....good for sand and shingle but I like to hold my rod when on the rocks or jam it in a crevice if I need a break or use my hands. 2 rods= tripod!!

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
The Fox Trek and the Salt Travel are the same rod so I'm lead to believe - both excellent from what I've heard.

I use an IMAX 4-CEPS 5-6 oz rod as a travel rod and it can poon a big bait a long way - its also 13 foot + so has the advantage of being much the same as what I normally use (Nemesis SLR) without having to change my casting style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.