World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Loomis Cargo Duffle bag that holds my multi piece rods and the rest of my fishing gear but it weighs 5 kilos before I put anything in it. any suggestion on something lighter. but needs to be 36" long

·
Registered
15,503 Posts
You could try a cricket bag, I use one that is 39 inches long, quite light with a rigid base, there are plenty to choose from, and much lighter than
5 kilos. I have had mine for about 5 years now, its been all over .
Got the idea from somebody on here, cant remember who, but it really saves on the baggage weight, holds travel rods , reels and bits, and clothing easily.

My lad has a snowboard bag that is even longer , he packs all sorts of gear in it. May be worth a look.

Dave

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Patagonia Black Hole duffles are excellent and very light but expensive. They do a wheeled version as well iirc.

hPa do some very heavy duty duffles but the zips are plastic and the pullers can break. They're a more tubular profile than the other brands.

North Face (mid priced) and Mountain Equipment (cheaper) are well thought of but heavier than the Patagonia.

I managed to lose a strap (my fault) on a small Mountain Equipment bag and they were extremely helpful, as were Cotswold outdoors.

I now use a hPa rigid Fishbox 45 packed inside a Black Hole XL (120 Litre 1.7KG) lined out with a cheap Decathlon yoga mat. It's the best secure combo I've found so far for a mixed lure and jigging setup (4-6 reels spare spools, big lure roll, light lure box, jigrolls and tools).

Yes, I have OCD.

HTH

Dave

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Ullo matey, I just use a plain old extra-large sports holdall which I bought cheap from Argos a few years back. No wheels, just a shoulder-strap, so it's a pain to carry (that's what trolleys are for!), but it weighs less than a kilo, so that's a load of extra gear I can cram in, which helps when you're flying with a 20kg restriction. I put the delicate sections of my travel rods in the longest, fattest travel case I've got that fits inside the holdall (currently my Snowbee heavy popper/boat combo), but the butts are tough enough to go alongside this, uncased.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Agree with the gent's who say they use 'sports bags' - been there, done that with the expensive offerings - most are not worth the money (one well known brand split at the seams on the first trip!) and I use a diving 'bag' - but I have also used Lacrosse bags..! Same principle - light, pack well and pad your stuff - no accidents thus far (touch wood so to speak) and if they do start to split etc, buy another..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a friend who imports cricket bags, and will add logos etc if required.

I have a huge rucksack version that takes about 45kgs easily, plus I had an extra 'bat sleeve' fitted, travel rods fit perfectly in it.

Ideal for travelling around and weighs about 1kg :)

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
I have a friend who imports cricket bags, and will add logos etc if required.

I have a huge rucksack version that takes about 45kgs easily, plus I had an extra 'bat sleeve' fitted, travel rods fit perfectly in it.

Ideal for travelling around and weighs about 1kg :)
;) 45 kgs on my back, you must be joking, but a good idea. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts