World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice to seafishing, although I have dabbled in freshwater fishing. I am going to Cyprus in the future and would appreciate some advice on what type of travel kit I should take with me for a spot of opportunistic fishing from the shore, rocks, or pier. (The weather forecast is poor over there, which is a crying shame for my wife, but I will have to make the most of it I suppose).
I have seen some advice saying a 10ft travel spinning rod, with a fixed spool reel loaded with 12lb bs line, plus a spare spool loaded with a 6lb ls line. Is a travel rod the same as a teloscopic rod? Similar advice of tackle would also help.

I am not sure of any particular manufacturers?
Obviously I will need to travel light, so any leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the quickest reply I ever recieved on any forum. I will have a read and check it out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kevan,

There are two other threads on this subject in "Tackle Questions", one on page 1 under the heading telescopic Rods, and the other on page 4 under the heading"Travel Rods".

There is also write in the Shimano telescopic in Sea Angler May edition.

Fred

·
Registered
438 Posts
the shamano exage carp rod the best all round travel rod you can have comes in a hard tube and will fit in a case bottom fishing spinning or float it will do it all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to complete this thread, thanks to you all ,for your advice & suggestions. Have opted for the shimano exage spinning rod, with 4000 reel. Awaiting delivery now.

See how I get on. At least if the fish dont bite I`ll have a toy to play with while the light of my life frizzles away on the beech.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lewisteh,

Following your advice, I have recieved the shimano exage spinning rod, and it looks & feels fine. The only small problem is that even though I ordered a shimano exage 4000FA reel as suggested, the tackle shop got me a shimano 4000RA in error.

Now although they would exchange it for the correct one, I am away too soon for them to exchange, and wondered if there was really any differance other than the FA has a front multidisk front drag, and the RA has a rear lever for drag in addition to the normal.

The cost was the same I believe, so I may keep the one I have.

Remmeber I am a novice to sea fishing, so I probably would`nt feel any differance. I only ask in case there is a good reason for me to exchange.

Kevan

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Kevan

The only reason I bought the Exage FA was because that was what the shop had, I would have bought the RA if they had had it.

The truth be known, a rear drag is easier to adjust whilst playing a fish anyway (in my opinion). Also, having the drag at the rear means you have a simple push button pop off spool, meaning you can change spools quickly and easily if you need a different line weight.

I believe the price is the same as you say, and I would keep the RA as it will be a fine reel.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
No problem - have a great holiday - and let us know how you get on.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts